Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I have some of the T&B 709 SC connectors. They take a full pair on both sides. You just close them with a pair of pliers.
https://www.newtechindustries.com/newtech/thomasandbetts/images/thomas1.jpg
I have those and like them, but they aren't that good for stranded... they are better suited for in-line solid splices. Thanks though!
smile

----

Originally posted by Silversam:
Tony -

We used to use these tiny brass tubes for inline splices. No teeth inside and no insulation outside. We used to slide them on one side of a broken wire, twist on the other side, crimp them and tape them. They were designed for repairing breaks in the old, old residential wiring where replacing a run would be a nightmare.

When those were not available we would gently squeeze a beanie and pop open the closed end. Then insert the wires from opposite ends and crimp.

Both of these were emergency methods only as far as I was concerned, but I knew people who just left them in forever - or until they went bad again.

Sam
Sam, I have popped the end off a beanie to do what I'm referring to, but would rather have a product designed for it... instead of modifying something existing to work around it. It worked quite well as it turned out, I did a test piece first and stressed both ends, to see how easily it loosened... and it didn't.

Do you have a reference link for the "brass tubes" you refer to? They sound interesting, almost like a crimp on butt splice that I've used for car audio (although they came with the insulation on them).

Thanks!
----

If I could invent it, I would make a 110 punch, with a dust cover for the solid wire side and a set-screw terminal (or spade terminal and crimp-on spade connector), for the stranded side. All with heat shrink to fit.

If you do create it, credit me for the design!
wink

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.