Because it's VoIP, she can work from home over a VPN using a headset attached to our computer to take calls (as a matter of fact, she has yet to work a day physically located at the call center)

I think something like that comes down to "are you doing it because you NEED to- or is it something that you do just because you CAN".

With all respect to your wife, a company has to weigh the added costs of supporting remote workers and the necessity of not having them in the office vs some other means such as cell phones vs having them physically present. In your wife's case I think it was something they could do so they allowed it. In most cases spending less money on a system and hiring someone who will be at the office (who also would multitask) is more cost effective- from my experience as a business owner.

To bring this back on topic, just how many extensions and work stations are we talking about? Give us an idea as to the size of this company.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.