Originally posted by hbiss:
The 1000Base-T standard came out around 1997 I believe, and they would have been working on that for several years prior. It would make sense then for the cabling standards at the time to look forward towards adoption of the new technology which would require 4pr cable, even if the technology of the moment did not need more than 2pr.

Yeah right. Nice try trying to give the IT industry the credit. :rofl:

Where did the 4 pair "standard" come from? Remember, there was 4 pair in the CAT zero days. I think you will find the answer if you look at the Bell System/AT&T 568B standard that was probably written for the old Merlin systems. That was the first use of a 4 pair cable.

-Hal
For the record I wasn't trying to say the IT industry invented 4pr cable, merely that it would make no sense for the standards bodies to bother with a 2pr standard when the new Ethernet standards would require 4pr. The point being that the standards bodies need to look forward to compatibility with new technologies, and not create minimalist standards that only work with current technologies.