Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
"Where did the 4 pair "standard" come from? Remember, there was 4 pair in the CAT zero days. I think you will find the answer if you look at the Bell System/AT&T 568B standard that was probably written for the old Merlin systems. That was the first use of a 4 pair cable."

Actually, it was about a decade before the Merlin systems came out. 568B evolved from WECO's propriety wiring designed for their MET sets that were used on their Dimension PBXs. Later uses came into play on Horizon systems and even for fifth line conversions on ComKey 416 systems. Yes, Western Electric invented it for sure, but someone else managed to get the credit.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Later uses came into play on Horizon systems and even for fifth line conversions on ComKey 416 systems.
Just to keep the archives straight, so that adventurous web surfers from the 24th century will still be able to get their ComKey 416 systems up and running:

The 5th line on a ComKey 416 system requires three-pair wiring.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Ahh yes. That would explain that reel of 3 pair cable that I used to have many years ago.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally posted by hbiss:
The 1000Base-T standard came out around 1997 I believe, and they would have been working on that for several years prior. It would make sense then for the cabling standards at the time to look forward towards adoption of the new technology which would require 4pr cable, even if the technology of the moment did not need more than 2pr.

Yeah right. Nice try trying to give the IT industry the credit. :rofl:

Where did the 4 pair "standard" come from? Remember, there was 4 pair in the CAT zero days. I think you will find the answer if you look at the Bell System/AT&T 568B standard that was probably written for the old Merlin systems. That was the first use of a 4 pair cable.

-Hal
For the record I wasn't trying to say the IT industry invented 4pr cable, merely that it would make no sense for the standards bodies to bother with a 2pr standard when the new Ethernet standards would require 4pr. The point being that the standards bodies need to look forward to compatibility with new technologies, and not create minimalist standards that only work with current technologies.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
In the years that I did a lot of SL-1 work we ran nothing but 3 pair cable - voice, data, power. Same for the GTE Omni and, as I recall, the NEC Electra 100.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
For the record I wasn't trying to say the IT industry invented 4pr cable, merely that it would make no sense for the standards bodies to bother with a 2pr standard when the new Ethernet standards would require 4pr.

And I was merely pointing out that at the time the "4 pair standard" was adopted there was no reason to believe ethernet would evolve to more than 2 pair. The "standard guys" just glommed onto 4 pair because there was a 568B WE standard already in use at the time.

Matter of fact the recent use of the other two pair probably came about because somebody said "Hey, lookie here. There's another two pair that isn't being used. Lets use them for something". :idea:

Otherwise you can bet your bippy cable manufacturers would figure out a way to run 10 Gig ethernet on 2 pair just to make UTP a viable alternative to fiber.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by hbiss:
...Otherwise you can bet your bippy cable manufacturers would figure out a way to run 10 Gig ethernet on 2 pair just to make UTP a viable alternative to fiber.

-Hal
And they might, yet.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
--------

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Ring voltage might actually be more of a problem than what I assumed above. If I have some time to kill one of these days, maybe I'll set this up as an experiment...see what actually happens.

The Fluke certification meters can test for impulse noise, which does not come into play for certification. If transmitting ring voltage down the same cable does cause a significant problem, my guess is that it would show up as impulse noise.

Please let us know the results of your research.
wink

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,763
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,445 Shoretel
188,297 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Carl Navarro, Toner), 188 guests, and 155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024