Mike,

Thanks for the direction. It seems as if the FCC rules govern ILEC and CLECs, and the rules of sharing space/equipment between the two. I've not found the specific part that has to do with a building owner/tenant and the ILEC, but I'll continue to search the FCC info.

I did, however; find the rules that govern the service provider, building and tenant relationship for Texas:

Below is a link (for Texas):
https://www.puc.state.tx.us/telecomm/index.cfm

I saw something for California, while searching for PUC. Basically I think someone can just search for the Public Utility Commission for thier state to find pertinent rules.

The part that has to do with the telco, building and tenant can be found in:
CHAPTER 26. SUBSTANTIVE RULES APPLICABLE TO TELECOMMUNICATIONS
SERVICE PROVIDERS
Subchapter F. REGULATION OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE
§26.129. Standards for Access to Provide Telecommunications Services at Tenant Request.

I thought this part was interesting:

(3) Notice of intent to install telecommunications equipment.
(A) Upon receiving a request for telecommunications services from a tenant, the requesting carrier
shall notify the property owner not fewer than 30 calendar days before the proposed date on
which installation of telecommunications equipment needed to provide the telecommunications
services requested by a tenant is to commence.
(B) Such notice shall be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the property's on-site
manager, or designee, and to the person identified in the tenant's lease to receive notices.
(C) The requesting carrier shall include, but is not limited to, the following in its notice of intent:
(i) the identity of the requesting tenant;
(ii) the property address and building number (if applicable);
(iii) the proposed timeline for the installation of telecommunications equipment;
(iv) the type of telecommunications equipment to be installed;
(v) the proposed location, space requirements, proposed engineering drawings, and other
specifications of the telecommunications equipment;
(vi) the conduit requirements, if any; and
(vii) a copy of PURA §§54.259, 54.260, and 54.261 and this section (Substantive Rule
§26.129).
(D) The requesting carrier and the property owner may agree, in writing, to extend the timelines
prescribed by this subsection.
I bet telco techs are totally unaware of this. Enforcing it will only slow down an install and make a tenant unhappy. But there is much more in there that is relevant to my situation.

It is understood that someone has to pay to have thier service setup, but many dont think about what should happen when service is no longer required. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is reponsible for the National Electical Code which also governs the responsibility of buildings which has a clause that states the building MUST remove abandoned cable.

It is up to the building to have an agreement with the tenant to pay for the removal of the wiring and equipment when the tenant leaves.

The building has to have an agreement with the telco to pay for space if substantial equipment is necessary to provide service to the tenant.

Now untangling the existing mess is going to take some work. (I'm looking for those hen's teeth I need to pull).

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.