Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
The mixer does have all kinds of built in stuff through the software so I can try a limiter.
I talked to Crown and they said at peak those amps can draw up to 13 amps. The way we have spaced out the power is with the wireless mics, one mixer, and 2 amps on one circuit, and another mixer, cd player and 2 more amps on the second circuit (the rack has equipment for 2 rooms in it)
Unfortunately we only have 2 circuits for the rack, without putting in anything new. I should have the electricians come check with a clamp on meter when we are running it...
You are chasing the symptom rather than the cause Jeff. With a 70 volt system when something like low frequency high level pop comes along the transformers on the speakers will saturate and pretty much present a dead short on the amp output that is probably being driven to more than it's rated 70.7v output also. One would expect the amp to go into protection but it might not be as fast as the breaker in the panel that is supplying it. I would not be surprised if the instantaneous mains current draw during an episode like that is several times the rated peak spec. Hence the breaker trips.

If you have DSP, absolutely insert a hard limiter that clamps just about where the clip indicator on the Crowns illuminate as a start,(if you have no other means to determine levels within the system) then back it down from there until you have eliminated your problem. The limiter(s) should be last in line and right before the inputs to the Crowns.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.