Note to mods: I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post. This seems to be where all the "old timers" hang out.

Hello all - new to the board. I am a phone collector who'd like to do more than just display his phones, when possible. I just picked up this beast:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7479548@N05/sets/72157600027248081/

and was hoping some folks here might have some insight into its operation and functions. It seems to me that all the components are there, but then again I don't know what all the components should be. The wiring is certainly gone, mostly snipped down to the solder. My goal, I guess, isn't necessary to get the whole thing "working," but to at least be able to power it, ring some phones with it, stage some connections with the cords, etc. Here are some of my thoughts/questions:

- Is this an independant PBX or a front panel for another, larger unit? I've read both.
- How many lines did it handle, 16 or 32?
- How is it powered? There are some posts marked "PWR" on the back, on the other side of the main power switch. I'm guessing 48v from batteries. Or was their CO power also (besides for the outside/trunk lines?)
- Just how old could it be? The front plate is marked 1949. The components, if I'm reading the WeCo date codes right, are marked from 1955 to 1967 to 1977 (!)
- Those big block connectors hanging off each line card - what the heck are they? I'm guessing they attach to a cable bundle that might serve a number of phones/pairs. I've never seen that connector before (there's a close-up amongst my pics.)
- How about documentation? There's a guy on ebay selling some docs (unknown whether they're complete) for $30, but surely someone must have them scanned somewhere...?

That's probably enough for tonight...hoping someone might get some enjoyment out of the pics as well. I've been reading the forums here for the last week, soaking up 1A2 knowledge and all the great Ma Bell stories!

-j

Vintage computing in the Chicago area: http://chiclassiccomp.org