Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Like Ed said.
If the line is interrupted with the unit turned on, it probably is stuck in some on line process. With the phone connected to T1 and R1, and the phone line connected to T-G and R, and the unit turned off/unplugged, do you get the phone line, yes or no? If yes, when you plug the unit into AC with the unit turned off, do you still get the phone line, yes or no? If yes, when you turn the unit on, do you lose the phone line, yes or no.
NOW for the BIG question, when you hook up the unit to the phone line, do ANY of the tests seem to completely kill the phone line? For this test, use a phone connected to the same jack as the unit.
And like ED, I wish I had it in front of me, this one is NOT going to be fun to troubleshoot over the internet. Any chance you could tell us what the knobs are labeled and what the labels are on multi-position switches are? John C.
OK, I did the tests you suggested, and here are the results:
With the unit unplugged, the phone does all functions.
With the unit plugged in, the phone does all functions.
With the switch turned on, it kills the phone completely. No incoming or outgoing anything.

The machine will still let me record and playback a greeting through the phone, but nothing more.

Where is the next place I need to turn my attention?