I have a client who owns a convenience store and an apartment building right next to each other. Client has a small office in the apartment building. I installed 12 strand fiber optic cable a couple of years ago between the two buildings, so they are connected together networking wise. Using a single pair with 100Mbit fiber to ethernet tranceivers on each end. Those can be changed out if needed.

Currently my client has a Geovision GV-800 4-camera system, installed into a Dell Vostro 400 computer. The Geovision software is pretty lousy, and their support & repair services stink (long story). I will not work with them again.

The client wants to put up to 8 cameras inside and outside the convenience store and another 4 inside and outside of the apartment building. I plan to put the DVR in his office, where it is locked and safe out of the way of employees messing with it. The client is thinking of getting motion detection flood lights for the back of the buildings. I figure that would reduce the cost of the cameras, as regular daytime cameras would work okay?? Advice needed on that too. Don't have AC power near where the cameras will go, so they should be powered via ethernet or the DVR system.

What brands have you guys worked with? Should I go with an IP camera system w/ DVR? Or stick with a traditional BNC/analog source camera system?

Requirements:
up to 16 cameras, probably 8 cameras to start off with.
a week's worth of recording.
accessible over the internet, so my client can monitor from home.
ability to hook security cameras to an LCD TV that my client has in his office (he watches TV on it, but also wants security camera feed, maybe by HDMI input?).
Any brand other than Geovision