Paul, I think that in the Macy's instance (formerly a Hecht's store), it was more about the fact that this was/is a high-end retail store. The basement level was more important for deliveries and storage of merchandise. It is my understanding that this building was once Hecht's main distribution facility and their headquarters back before regional logistics came about. This building dates back to the 1930s. The lower levels were all about street-level access for customers. The fifth floor was designated as space for offices and utilities. Keep in mind that this store is in the heart of downtown Arlington, VA where street-level facades and access are key. There's really no flooding risk in this particular area. I would think that if this was the case, they wouldn't dare build out a new main telecommunications room in the basement.

Now that Macy's has taken over with much more advanced distribution and management operations, there is no longer a need for space for these things. It sure breaks my heart to see all of the thousands of feet of copper being pulled out of there.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX