[Linked Image from scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net]

On the flipside you have this. I went to do a DSL install for a new customer a few weeks ago. I arrived onsite and saw there was no NID (well NIDs as there are two drops). Talked with the customer (renting an apartment) then talked with the landlord.

Landlord: Yeah I cut down the aerial drops and removed the NIDs as I thought no one would use a phone line again. But I did call the LEC before I did that and asked them to remove the drops and NIDs. They wanted $500 to do it, so I just cut off the drops myself and threw the NIDs out.

The LEC ended up having to go back out and install a new NID (a bonus for us lowly CLECs often times having to deal with 30+ yr old N.E. Tel NIDs that are corroded/weathered and falling apart and drop wires leaking signal badly). And because the old NIDs were on the opposite side of the house from the power meter, the LEC more than likely had to move the new drops to the other side of the house for grounding purposes (landlord cut the old ground wire that went to the cold water pipes in the basement flush with the siding). According to a coworker, the LEC should have charged the CLEC for T&M but most of the techs he said don't bother with paperwork.

Last edited by hawk82; 03/25/14 09:36 PM.