Thanks for getting this back on track. I've assumed that the answer is because of the proliferation of cheap 8P8C crimp tools and all that we can infer from that. I see this as the loss of yet another tried and true system that is being replaced by something that is not necessarily better.
It likely saves a nickel and allows those without a legacy background to install a phone system. Thus increasing profits.

I buy or fabricate my plugged cables. All my hybrid and digital systems require me to custom terminate on patch panels. Pure IP will never see 100% saturation so it will always be that way.

I think some blame lies with the AT&T Merlin and Panasonic KX-T systems. Those products eliminated amphenol connectors before IT became an issue. I have bemoaned the sight of sloppy Partner/ACS installations and I am starting to see the same mess increase. I think that is part of the reason why we have enjoyed having an ugly installation forum to do our small part in preserving some cabling integrity.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.