I few years ago I bought some tools that came with Harris TS19 pretty much in mint condition and TS22AL that was describes as a working unit, but not at the time of sale due to possible 9v battery in need of replacement. I installed new battery into TS22AL, but it did not work, I did not give it much though and chucked the thing in the back of the tool box. Some time later I came across the TS22AL again and tried to give it another whirl, to no avail I took it apart to see what might be wrong with it, not seeing too much in there that can be fixed or possibly go wrong with it, I did discovered it a little wierd that 3v battery would be soldered onto the board and was coated with hard clear finish assuming for waterproofing, not giving it much I threw it in back in storage. Some more time passed and I came across some post on here on some other forums about that exact 3v soldered battery might be the cause of the dead butt set. All of the info seemed consistent and insisting of the replacement of it and how it was part of a bad design and took some effort and creative approach to the task at hand. One of the posters mentioned using the plastic battery holder that would be found on typical mother board of the pc. I took a note of the idea and said to myself, I'd have to try that, so I bought battery holders on eBay for less than a buck for 10 shipped from China land. Carefully cut around the battery cell and lifted it, ofcourse some soldered contact broke off leaving plenty room for re-soldering. Found some wires that can be used for soldering and went to town, I am not the greatest with soldering iron, but if done right I had good results. I tried to do this one in a rush for some reason and I believe that it'll be noticeable. Anyway, once everything was attached I pulled out glue and coated the bottom of the cell holder trying to cover the contacts as well, once glue dried, the results looked promising, so I went ahead and slapped the new shiny battery in its old place. The result seems pleasing to the eye and I was able to hear the hissing speaker and amplification once the buttons are pressed, but when I got the leads onto a 66 block I was devastated to find myself with a dead butt set, was almost ready to give up, back at the desk I called it a miserable failure and began assembling the 22 back together, then I got to top cover I noticed that I glued it little bit too far up and the covers plastic post was hitting the battery, so I ripped the battery holder from the glue and discovered that not all of the glue had dried out. Figured that was a problem I dried it up and took it over to 66 block, result were a little bit better, in monitor mode I was able to get the ring though the speaker, but the sounds was bad, no ear piece sound, no dialing of the numbers no testing function. I left it again, until I rant into similar issue with TS44 from Harris that recently taken apart for the guts tour. The screws were not tight enough on the test leads and the casing and produced similar results. After TS44 was revived, I though maybe the TS22AL had to be in its shell and sure enough once I got the bottom half and made a couple turns on test leads the results started to look promising. Now I am left with the final small dilemma which is pictured in last 4 pics.

Should I place the 3v battery where it originally was or have it moved to the either side of the 9v holding tray as the wires I soldered onto it are long enough and are pictured as well?
I am thinking to use the hot glue gun for the final stage instead of the glue that was used previously, would that be ok?

I apologize for such lengthy post.

Thanks

[Linked Image from i161.photobucket.com]
[img]https://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/kinosolntse/Harris%20TS22AL%20Butt%20Set/11.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/kinosolntse/Harris%20TS22AL%20Butt%20Set/12.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/kinosolntse/Harris%20TS22AL%20Butt%20Set/13.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/kinosolntse/Harris%20TS22AL%20Butt%20Set/14.jpg[/img]