That's why I originally bought the sportster modem. For the life of me I could never get it to connect to the internal modem. Oddly, when I had my r6 out of the carrier and sitting on the bench, I could plug the modem into a station port and connect reliably over and over, put it in the carrier and it would get nowhere. Same with my R8. I can't connect to the internal modem at all, but with the sportster hanging off the admin port I can connect reliably every time. Paul had a suggestion that I try unseating the other cards and try calling the internal modem. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I have a bad 308EC putting out some interference? The system otherwise works perfectly and there's no noise on any lines or stations. I wanted to use the modem because the only computer I have that will run the PC Administration software lives in my workshop. It's an old machine running XP pro, and I don't really want to move it around. I don't have 4 spare pairs I can run serial over, but I do have 1 spare pair I can run a modem over. I should have run more cabling when I built my workshop, but hindsight is 20/20. I have 3 ethernet drops, and two extra runs of 4 pair I'm using for the phones. I have an 18D on each bench, so that uses up 4 of the 8 phone pairs. I have a pair used for the modem in my main PC, but it runs Windows 10 so it won't run the administration program. That leaves one spare pair at that bench. The other bench has a drop with an 18D on it and two single line jacks I use for testing old phones I'm working on restoring. I don't need two jacks, so I can use one for the modem in the XP machine. That still leaves me a test jack for whatever old thing I'm repairing. I wish I had run a couple 25 pair drops out here, then I could have all the 4 pair drops for ethernet and the 25 pair cables for phones, serial links, modems and whatever other circuits I feel like dreaming up.