I agree with Skip. I carry a few of those splice boxes for those times that I need a quick fix. Of course, the operative word is "if I had to do it".

Another possibility and one that I almost never do unless there is no money for recabling is one that will get a few folks mad at me. If $ is the deciding factor, have you ever noticed that R66M1-50 blocks have Cat 5 stamped on their sides? A little known fact is that if you terminate the pairs just a little differently, you can get an acceptable result using them to splice Cat 5 cables. Maintain the twist by bringing the 1st pair and lace it between clips 1-2. Then terminate it by looping the wh/bl upwards through clip 1 and the Bl/Wh downwards through clip 2. Repeat the procedure between clips 3-4 for the 2nd pair and so on. Perform a data test after the 1st cable if you don't believe me. I know that I will get flack over this but before you think I have lost it, please contact those companies who rate their 66 blocks for Cat 5 and ask them about it.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.