Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
Not all space above a drop ceiling is a plenum.

As a LV contractor you are supposes to KNOW how to tell or where to find out when the space above a hung ceiling is used as an air handling space. Depending on the size of the job this can save you a lot of money if you don't have to use a plenum listed cable.

Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
What kind of inspection, and by whom? I have never once encountered an inspector who was in the least interested (or knowledgeable) in what kind of work I did. In this business, it's the honor system. And there some very dishonorable hacks out there.

In NY it all depends on the jurisdiction since we have neither statewide licensing or, in many cases inspectors that work for the jurisdiction. Here in this town you don't need a license but you do need to have your LV inspected (rough and finish) by an electrical inspector. We have a choice of inspection companies that we can go to to provide an inspection and if you ask them to come out and look at LV work they are going to look at it.

One common way hacks get around this is to come in after the final inspection when everything is closed up.

In this business, it's the honor system. Yes it can be. Even when your work is inspected, after awhile inspectors get to know you and your work and don't scrutinize because they trust you. That's not to say that as a professional you should take advantage of it. Whatever work you do, whether or not it's going to be inspected, should be done in compliance with the Code and customary workmanship standards. So if you have a ceiling that requires plenum listed materials it's on you to do it that way. It's what separates us from the hacks.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.