I've been involved with yet another cave-man system, this time a 616 for the first time. Actually fooled with the one in the shop yesterday after a service call came in so I'd at least be somewhat familiar with it. Got a book and did some programming. The customer's issues were erratic operation, some phones dead, some could not access CO keys. I went through programming and found option 22 restricts outgoing access to a trunk. I was able to set it to restrict/allow at the shop. Went through several CPUs that we had, all but 1 wouldn't allow access to CO lines, even after changing the settings.

I only had one phone to test with at the shop. Replaced the customer's CPU, got 1 phone to work, 2 others could access COs and get dial tone but couldn't dial out - no DTMF generated. Looked through various settings - tried some, no luck. I brought the shop CPU, installed that which got all phones to work. Then one went dead 20 minutes later, had to reset the system to get it working again. I installed a jack on line 1 and recommended they buy a cordless phone with a remote handset, which they did because they wanted portability and I said it could be at least a connection to line 1 if the system goes down again. Back at the shop I tried the option to clear memory (90?) on the CPUs, still couldn't access trunks, I wonder could these CPUs be shot? I proposed a VS to the customer which would be ideal, they need 6 digital phones. Told them it comes with 2 analog lines which the could use to integrate the cordless phone. I guess there's still a few of these 2 and 3 pair systems out there.