I'm a telco amateur curious for ideas. We've ridden our NEC Aspire into the ground and plan to migrate to VoIP in two weeks, but I am curious for ideas why at random the Aspire stops handling incoming 800# DIDs but still does outbound just fine. Our old telco guys won't touch it (and the guys they had who knew the system are retiring).

We thought it was a loose wire on the PRI to RJ45 adapter box because it came loose from the back panel one day, but that seems to be coincidence. When we re-seated it, things started working again, but other times that's not the case. We've had to ask our 800# provider to forward our primary 800# to our local line but they only do that for three days without a change order, so by Friday we have to either fix this or bite the bullet and do a redirect to our VoIP temporary line and just jump in the deep end with VoIP.

Yesterday I could dial any of our several 800#s and the NEC handled them just fine. But today, suddenly, none of them work. Jiggling/re-seating the wire did nothing. There's a long silence delay then a fast busy. Meanwhile, outbound and the incoming from the primary 800# that is being redirected to our local line all work fine. Everyone's NEC phones behave as if nothing else is wrong.

After everyone went home tonight and put the system on night mode, the other 800#s that were silence+fast busy now work fine. So it seems to be coming and going in waves which isn't what I'm used to with digital equipment.

This all seemed to have started after we got fiber to the building so it's possible their work did something to interfere with the T1/PRI cabling.

Should I call a wiring guy to have him check in the adapter and re-wire?

Thanks!