web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
pokey Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm a telco amateur curious for ideas. We've ridden our NEC Aspire into the ground and plan to migrate to VoIP in two weeks, but I am curious for ideas why at random the Aspire stops handling incoming 800# DIDs but still does outbound just fine. Our old telco guys won't touch it (and the guys they had who knew the system are retiring).

We thought it was a loose wire on the PRI to RJ45 adapter box because it came loose from the back panel one day, but that seems to be coincidence. When we re-seated it, things started working again, but other times that's not the case. We've had to ask our 800# provider to forward our primary 800# to our local line but they only do that for three days without a change order, so by Friday we have to either fix this or bite the bullet and do a redirect to our VoIP temporary line and just jump in the deep end with VoIP.

Yesterday I could dial any of our several 800#s and the NEC handled them just fine. But today, suddenly, none of them work. Jiggling/re-seating the wire did nothing. There's a long silence delay then a fast busy. Meanwhile, outbound and the incoming from the primary 800# that is being redirected to our local line all work fine. Everyone's NEC phones behave as if nothing else is wrong.

After everyone went home tonight and put the system on night mode, the other 800#s that were silence+fast busy now work fine. So it seems to be coming and going in waves which isn't what I'm used to with digital equipment.

This all seemed to have started after we got fiber to the building so it's possible their work did something to interfere with the T1/PRI cabling.

Should I call a wiring guy to have him check in the adapter and re-wire?

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Are you using both PRI and analog trunks? If only PRI how many PRI cards in the system, if only 1 the issue is not with the NEC system.

We get old too soon, smart too late
This sounds like a telco issue. I would call the company that is controlling your 800#'s.

pokey Offline OP
OP Offline
We do have a local line trunk so maybe it's the PRI card.

Today, for example, the 800#s are doing fine. But something later in the day seems to trigger this issue.

I do know that in the main office, if you unplug certain phones and plug them back in, it can reboot the entire system.

I know we need to let go of this 16+ year old system but it's hard walking away from tech mysteries, but it's just not my bailiwick. Kudos for NEC for producing such a workhorse.

Pure VOIP here we come!

Pure VOIP is not some great improvement let me tell you. You think you have issues trouble shooting this, wait til you have network issues. Depending which VOIP system you get you might be surprised how few real features you retain. If the system is resetting you could have a failing power supply or UPS. Drawing just enough power to cause the system to go down and up. There are so many variables, including cabling, that trying to figure it out would be tough. But, you should be able to pull the alarm reports to give you a start.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024