Yes - Consumer Cellular is a great deal IMO. Coverage maybe not as good as others in areas, but I'm sticking with them. The E5 Play is definitely on my list. Right now I ask to be texted via my Google Voice number so I can respond on the PC. I usually have the texts also go to the flip phone so I'll be alerted , and I can turn that off/on via GV. The only reason I may go with the $150 Motorola phone is because of the larger screen - my eyes aren't getting any better.

I think that's what my kids did when they were here - turn WiFi on to download anything, as long as WiFi is on that takes precedence over the cellular signal (for data, at least). With my out of service Net10 phone I can make calls using Google Voice with my WiFi. Once when I had a Comcast outage at home I brought it to the local Stop & Shop and went on their self checkout scanner Wifi and was able to call Comcast (which had a recording indicating the area wide outage). At the time my CC phone had limited minutes.

For the NAV data (only have tried Google Maps so far) that's what I did - downloaded the maps on the tablet via WiFi at home, then brought it in the car for the test drive. CC's chat and phone support are very busy today so I didn't feel like waiting. Was going to ask if I could use the downloaded maps instead of cellular data, but you guys probably know much more than the typical help desk/chat agent.