I don't think so, and here is my reasoning.

The channels (on the span) are configured for immediate (or as asterisk calls it, kewlstart) as you would use with most standard channel banks. When you go off hook on one of the partner extensions, you are connected directly to that channel. The partner system is either sending or waiting for a wink, or both, and since the channels aren't configured for that (coming from the asterisk system) the partner never gets its signal that says "the channel is ready and waiting for digits". The touch tones on a partner system are not generated within the phone itself, they are generated within the processor or expansion module the phone is plugged into. Since the module hasn't gotten the "ok" to send digits, it won't send them.... until it just times out and does it anyway.

A single line phone, on the other hand, generates its own touch tones, needing only talk battery to do so. So you dial a digit, the phone dutifully does what it does, and it sends a tone down the line. My spans, being configured the way they are, hears the tone and cuts dial tone and awaits further digits, the number of which depends on the first digit dialed. (9 for a pstn line, 1 for c-net line, 0 for international c-net, etc)

The other thing I noticed which may or may not be relevant, I get a crap-ton of CRC errors on the span tied to the partner module. This tells me there are signals being sent that it isn't expecting, but I'm not an expert enough to know. None of my other spans ever have CRC errors or possibly 1 or 2 over a long period of time, but nothing significant. It's not the crossover cable, I've used it with my adtran channel bank and never see any errors.

Clear as mud?

I'm still waiting on an email from an asterisk guru to help me change the signaling on this span. I tried and screwed my whole system up. Fortunately I made a backup of the config file so I could put it back and get up and running in only a few minutes.

Linux and asterisk are like trying to learn Mandarin...

I miss DOS...