Bingo! That was it! Thank you both so much!

Here is what happened...when the new carrier, expansion processor and cable came I installed them, bringing the whole system down to do it. When I finished installing I powered up the expansion cabinet to see if everything was ok. When I did the lights flashed a couple of times, I heard a "electronics" hum like you get from and old-school TV, and then the lights went out. I assumed that the expansion processor was bad from its funny start up and no lights on.

So, I looked around for another solution, a backup primary processor. (I did not know that the secondary had to be an expansion one. In a conversation with a tech I recall him saying that in a pinch you could use the secondary processor as a primary until you had the new parts. Is that the case? So I assumed that the reverse was true.) When I put the backup primary in all looked well, to me the novice, with the lights on and an uneventful startup.

So, just now, I put in the expansion processor again, powered it up...and then powered up the primary too...Hurray!! Lights, dial tones, joy, high fives, the works!

Again, thank you.
Eric