web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I am hoping someone can help. Here is the deal: during an electrical event (extreme power flux over the course of a couple of days)a couple 206 3.0 cards and the 4.1 expansion processor in our righthand/expansion/secondary cabinet begin to smoke.

To clarify, we have a partner II version 4.1 with two cabinets, 8 lines in the lefthand/primary cabinet, 48 stations, all of the 206e boards are 3.0 and 3.1s.

After the event, I replaced the processor and the smokey boards. When I did, the left hand (main/primary) cabinet would no longer recognize the right hand cabinet at all. (BTW, all lines and stations work in the primary cabinet for incoming, outgoing, and intercom, except station 11 (previously bad station))

So, I put in a new cabinet and cable on the non working secondary side. No change. Next, I put in a second refurb. expansion processor. No change, primary side still won't see the other cabinet. Next, I changed out both processors for 3.1 version ones (back-ups I had mistakenly bought without checking my version correctly!) Still, no change.

I have read through the install manual front to back but there isn't an explanation of how to install a second carrier.

Am I missing something or could it be that I have REALLY bad luck with boards and processors? Any ideas?

Thanks, Eric

PS BTW, is it possible to mix version 4.1 and 3.1 processors?

[This message has been edited by eric_GLMR (edited February 13, 2005).]

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

try replacing the card in the first slot of the second cabinet. on a partner one card make evrything behind of it go bad.

OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by locg:
try replacing the card in the first slot of the second cabinet. on a partner one card make evrything behind of it go bad.</font>

locg, I just tried to replace the card in the first slot of the second carrier with several different cards. Two of them were refurbs. from metroline and two others were used "Oh My Goodness" boards with one port down. No luck with any.

Here aere a few other clues, though I don't know if they are significant. First, all of the green lights on the boards are on, no reds. Second, when I move an incoming line from the primary side, line 4 for example, to the expansion carrier to the line 9 spot, it acts like a new line 1 in the carrier. In other words, it is like the expansion carrier, processor and boards all seem to work just fine, but not WITH the primary carrier.

This is what has led me to think that there might be some set-up proceedure I'm overlooking or that this leads up to having a Large number of bad processors, boards, carriers, etc.

For set-up, I have turned on the secondary carrier first at start-up, changed cables, carriers, processors and 206Es. The install instructions simply say plug it in and turn it on.

By the way, Thank you so much for helping!
Thanks, Eric

do you have an expansion processor in second cabinet if i recall the second cabinet is supposed to be and epansion processor. It sounds like you have both with a primary one.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Boy it sure does sound like you have two primary processors, the expansion processor won't have a Page or SMDR jack on it.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
OP Offline
Bingo! That was it! Thank you both so much!

Here is what happened...when the new carrier, expansion processor and cable came I installed them, bringing the whole system down to do it. When I finished installing I powered up the expansion cabinet to see if everything was ok. When I did the lights flashed a couple of times, I heard a "electronics" hum like you get from and old-school TV, and then the lights went out. I assumed that the expansion processor was bad from its funny start up and no lights on.

So, I looked around for another solution, a backup primary processor. (I did not know that the secondary had to be an expansion one. In a conversation with a tech I recall him saying that in a pinch you could use the secondary processor as a primary until you had the new parts. Is that the case? So I assumed that the reverse was true.) When I put the backup primary in all looked well, to me the novice, with the lights on and an uneventful startup.

So, just now, I put in the expansion processor again, powered it up...and then powered up the primary too...Hurray!! Lights, dial tones, joy, high fives, the works!

Again, thank you.
Eric

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 90 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024