web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#105016 11/08/06 12:28 PM
OP Offline
SX-200 480 port, Analog/digital mix lightware 15, took power bump, and now shows an alarm. When trying to read logs, I get a "disk i/o error, database may be corrupt". How long until i can expect it's complete demise? I've run into this before, and the customer is usually prepared to replace drives and disks. This guy wants to wait. How long does he have? ( I'm ready to upgrade!)

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#105017 11/08/06 02:06 PM
DO you have a recent back up? If not I would try and get one if it will let you.If they lose power again the drives or disk may fell then it's start from scratch.I would either put a verry good battery backup on the system or talk them into fixing the problem the right way...Good luck Jayman

#105018 11/08/06 07:34 PM
Do you have a spare set of floppies?

Specifically, two sets of spare floppies?

If so, absolutely positively try to get a backup, as Jayman suggests.

But first, hook up a laptop to the printer port, print out the database, and use ProComm or Hyperterminal to capture the output as a file. You can then print it on any printer. It will come in handy when you manually rekey the database.

Once you have the backup AND a printout... Do you feel lucky? "Database Corrupt" errors can sometimes ... sometimes ... no promises... Scary as heck ... Do this at your own risk ... errors can sometimes be corrected by resetting the system.

IF YOU FEEL LUCKY. AND IF you have a recent backup. And IF you understand that this may also crash the system for good.

Now, a practical note: If this is a floppy disk drive going bad, then you're going to need two copies of the database.

When the first crashes, people typically pull out the bad floppies, note the damage, and toss them, popping in the second set (which are hopefully inside the control cabinet). They pop in set two, and the bad diskdrive promptly ruins set #2. Then they realize that the drives themselves are bad, replace them, and pop in set #3.

Time to order an ICP. You probably can't even find an acceptable floppy drive. Mitel claims that they are different from a run-of-the-mill floppy drive (they used to make you buy them from Mitel).

#105019 11/09/06 01:34 AM
OP Offline
You're right. I've seen the drives damage the disks damage the drives etc., as well. I'll get hard copies and file his data base and wait, I guess, till it crashes. This guy's tighter than a bull's ass in springtime. I guess he'd rather be down for a week while I hunt for parts only to realize he should go ICP, rather than spend the mony now. All these lodging owners are the same, wait till lightning strikes.

#105020 11/09/06 06:17 AM
Disk I/O failure means one of the drives is gone and you will not be able to copy the database. Do not power down the system until you get a printout and schedule some down time. If the disks aren't damaged, you may be able to use them again but my experience has been that you will have to use a new set.

Jeff

#105021 11/12/06 09:20 PM
Ahem. "I'm sorry, sir, but this system is obsolete, and even if I can find the parts you need, it'll be a used part, and it might not work right once we get it here. And parts for these dinosaurs are getting expensive. My supplier says that his costs on these are gonna triple in the coming year."

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it. For the customer's own good.

Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,907 Shoretel
190,067 CTX100 install
188,232 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 57 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024