I am in the process of getting certified on the 3300 but I am having an issue that I need some input on. I have a CXi with a few phones. I have the LAN port of thhe CXi interfaced with our LAN (Catalyst 3560s) which have a VLAN configured specifically for the Mitel switch. I am using the DHCP server in the CXi for the voice subnet. All of the phones plugged into the CXi come up and work without issue but when I try to bring up a 5340 (doesnt matter but that is the model I am using) it will not come online, it hangs on the second DHCP discover. The switchport in the 3560 is defined as an access port on Vlan 150 which is the same vlan assignment as the port which the CXi LAN port is in. The only way that I can get said 5340 up is to configure the switchport as a dot1q port and then modify the 125 option in DHCP to force the phone to tag its frames as VLAN 150. The standard 125 option is for VLAN 1, and I cannot make it 0. My theory is that when the Catalyst port is configured as an access port and sees a tag for Vlan1 it is dropping the frame {The phone is tagging the frame with a dot1q tag of 1). Am I understanidn the behavior of this phone correctly and is there a way to disable dot1q tags altogether on the phone? I can make it work by setting the port as a trunk and tag with 150 but in theory I should be able to make it work as an access port.

ShoreTel, Inter-Tel, Mitel, NEC, Zeacom, Cisco, Digium, Adtran Certified
http://www.voipnetworkengineering.blogspot.com