web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Is it possible to program a 5340 phone so that if it's pre-programmed in the teleworker server, a user can simply take it off their desk, take it home, plug it in and have it work?

From what I was told, this is not possible and that you have to do the 7...program teleworker IP every time they would take it out. Seems contrary to how it should work?

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

When at your house, the set has to be pre-programmed to find the external address of the telworker server.
In you office, the DHCP server tells the phone where to find the internal address of the PBX.
It's a feature that sells well (take your phone home), but's cumbersome to use.
Most of our customers end up buying a seperate phone for the house, and use the twinning feature to have the 2 sets 'mirror' each other!

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
Yes you can, but you will be using needless bandwidth on your internet connection when the phone is in the office.
basically if your in the office the phone is going onto the internet to find the external IP then back in to register to the MAS/MSL server then communication with the Mitel 200/3300 ICP.

one or 2 in the office is OK, but you wouldn't want them all like that.
once you do the 7 a few times, its a snap

OP Offline
55 footer - I was under the impression (or just took a wild guess) that THAT was how its supposed to work, but when we took the phone that was configured for teleworker and plugged it into the office network again, it got an IP from dhcp but didn't go any furthur. I think there's an option that needs to be turned on on the 3300 DCHP service but I don't know what it is.

We are using the 3300 for DHCP, and the phone network is kept seperate from the data network.

When you bring the set back into the office, and plug it in, it will get DHCP from your network. At that point, it will try to go OUT onto the internet, and look for your teleworker server address. I'm definitely a novice at networking, but I'v heard that trying to get to one of your own external static IPs, thru your own gateway, can do some confusing things to the device.
To reset the 'mode' of the set, hold down the 7 key while rebooting, and choose the 'delete' option. That will get rid of the external static address that's saved in the NVRAM.

OP Offline
Yep pressing 7 and deleting the teleworker config works, we just thought it was supposed to be seamless so that yeah you can configure a phone for teleworker by

1. Setting it up on the teleworker server
2. Setting up the external IP on the phone by hitting 7

But then figured if the phone is brought into the office, it should see its local, hopefully via a DHCP option or something, and temporarily bypass the teleworker config. If the phone is then taken out of the office, a home router will not give it that special dhcp option and the phone will default to teleworker. Thats how I thought it worked anyway. Not a huge deal, we only have 5 teleworker licenses but man it could make a difference between only ever having those 5 to possibly needing/using a lot more if it worked seamelessly like I thought.

The teleworker is a feature that markets pretty well, but is a little cumbersome if your told that you can 'take your phone home'!!

Well, the marketing intent is not really for someone to carry their set back and forth from home to office.

OP Offline
A simple proprietary DHCP option and it could forseeable do that though! Oh well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 81 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024