web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm an IT guy, who is trying to be a phone guy now, and I could really use some help.

This small business had moved out from it's current location for about 2 months, and they had me take out the phone

system when they left, but it turned out that they moved back in to the same location, and i've hooked up the phone

system to where it functions, but i assume i've missed something that makes the "night ringing" and auto-attendant

function correctly, which it did perfectly before i took it out for storage.

They have a Norstar PLUS Compact ICS and a Callpilot 100.

The problems are that when i go to the receptionist phone (ext 21) and press the "nite" button, the phone never

transfers calls to the auto-attendant (the phone does display "Services ON", and "Night Ringing" does list).

If i access the Callpilot100 via it's web interface and change the answer mode to "auto-attendant" for line 1, it

picks up on the first ring (it's set to 1), but pressing "1", "2", or "3" doesn't connect me to an extension like it

did before, and after a few seconds i get the message, "exiting the system, goodbye". If i do nothing after

listening to the greeting, i eventually get transfered to the receptionist station.

Two other details that may or may not have anything to do with anything, but when i was re-connecting the system, i

couldn't figure out which 2 lines to hook the CP100 up to - after looking at the web interface i guessed that line

one went to extension 30 (Voicemail DN: 30), and i hooked the other line to extension 31, but while trying to

access VM i got a message that said ext 33 not available (i believe it said that - it was late by then), so i moved

the 2nd CP100 line to ext 33 and it seemed better. This was a bit confusing where the ext 33 came into play, because

in examing the programming for the ICS and the CP, i see no reference to it. Again, this may be a non-issue, but

i'm too new to know one way or another.

So, have i provided enough info that anyone can make a guess as to what the problem is? All the other VM

programming seems intact; i could access the mailboxes from the individual extenstions, and their greetings and old

messages were still present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - i couldn't find a "Programming and Managing a Nortel ICS with a CP100 for

Dummies" book anywhere. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Carlos

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Hi Carlos,

You have provided enough information for some educated guesses to be made regarding your troubles. If nothing has changed in the configuration of the CICS, then the CallPilot is probably not connected to the ports that it was before. It would take VERY little time for a vendor to look at the CICS configuration (ring groups) and determine where the CP100 should be connected (it sounds like 33 might be a good guess), or reconfigure the CICS to accomodate the ports it is currently installed on.

Ultimately, if you bring in a vendor, you will likely have happier users and a system that works more efficiently.

Welcome to the board! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

------------------
BCM Guy
www.BCMguy.com
Learn more about the Nortel Networks Business Communications Manager HERE !

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
That is why qualified vendors are used to do important moves adds and tech changes. Vendors do things that are recognized as important and things that have been aquired over many years of working with the same equipment over and over. (experience) Before some throw a rock at the post of mine I want to remind the ones that are eager to detail some of the procedure given out over this and other forums, you feed your families and pay your bills with the know how and I dont think you would loan out your tools if you won't get them back. This and other areas on the web help with simple problems, as intended, that come up from time to time.

OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BCMguy.com:

... then the CallPilot is probably not connected to the ports that it was before. It would take VERY little time for a vendor to look at the CICS configuration (ring groups) and determine where the CP100 should be connected (it sounds like 33 might be a good guess), or reconfigure the CICS to accomodate the ports it is currently installed on.

Ultimately, if you bring in a vendor, you will likely have happier users and a system that works more efficiently.

Welcome to the board! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
[/B]</font>

Thanks for the quick reply. Just a little more history, and that's that I worked for this small company when they moved into these offices and had the phone system installed by the vendor they bought it from (actually a contractor they sub'ed it out to), and i wish i'd payed more attention on the install... while i'm wishing, it would have been nice if there had been some sort of documentation of the configuration of the setup left on site to aide me in troubleshooting. - i guess i should wish for a pony too! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Anyways, when the business moved (i left at the same time) i never thought they would be moving back into the same location, or i would have payed _much_ more attention when i took it out. I'm sure the bossman will pony up the bucks to have a tech come out, but i'll feel a little guilty if that has to happen, since i'm sure it's going to turn out to be a simple fix - i'm in IT, so i know that you don't pay the tech $$$ to come out and throw a switch, you pay him to throw the _right_ switch.

So, having ranted a bit, might anyone direct me to where i could check the programming to verify that port the 2nd line to the CallPilot should be hooked up to? I have the CD's that came with the CICS and the CallPilot, and I've read a bit of the documents they contain, but the terminology seems a bit obfuscated to me - i keep reading and get little glimpses insight, but i haven't found the key to understanding yet.

I know remote-troubleshooting is a pain, and i thank you for time.

Carlos

Two things to check, If they were using Nite Mode to transfer to the VM, you should be able to Look under "Services" in programming to find out which extension the Call pilot was origianlly on. My first inclination was the system returned to default while in storage and the system perhaps had 3 digit DN's before, but unless you prgrammed another "Night Button" on the receptionist phone, it sounds like the CIC's program is intact.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024