Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132725 03/29/07 08:21 AM
wsabee Offline OP
OP Offline
I am new to this board so forgive my ignorance if I post incorrectly.

I have a customer with a Norstar and I believe a 6.1 version software.
Need to know if PRI with NI2 enabled will allow the below scenario.
I know this can be done on a channelized T with "Call transfer / Disco" in the switch but He wants the DID and PRI capabilities. He is pointing to our DMS 500.
I believe it can be done with "B to B" transfer enabled but I am unsure and so is his phone vendor.
Scenario:
Caller A is inbound to my phone

Caller B “ME” picks up and talks to caller A

Then Caller B “ME” places caller A on hold and makes an “OUTSIDE” call to caller C

I then join all three in a three way call “we are all talking to each other”.

Caller B “ME” removes myself from the call

Caller A and Caller C remain talking.

Will the call still occupy 2 channels, 1 channel, or be handled by the switch?

Thanks
Wsabee

Jason Doane
Owner
Tele-Consultants LLC
Cell 904.710.4418
office:904.261.6150
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Get your conference call established, then hit "transfer" and hang up. Yes it will occupy 2 channels.

wsabee Offline OP
OP Offline
He is currantly with another provider that cannot make this work doing just what you said. I have been told that their switch won't support it but the DMS will.
I just don't want to promise him that it will work by switching carriers and then it doesn't. I am a sales puke but I do have morals and a problem selling something that won't solve their problem.

I have been told that there is a feature in NI2 that will collapse it to one channel. Has anyone heard of this?

Jason Doane
Owner
Tele-Consultants LLC
Cell 904.710.4418
It's the Norstar that is performing this function, so I don't understand how the carrier says they can't support it. What you described is an unsupervised conference and the call would still be held on the phone of the conference initiator. It's done all the time.
Any way to "collapse" it to one channel is new to me, but would be something in the central office switch, if possible.

Never thought about "transfer" completely dropping "collapse" to one channel but,I have client with US Lec with Pri:11B+D,National,Last 4 digits of DID delivered,Caller ID Name & Number,2B Transfer,[2BCT]. 120 DID with 60 people at present,most are on the road. A call comes in and receptionist either dials out to sales staff cell number and hits transfer or sends to mailbox where caller can initiate live transfer or leave message. New MICS install last Nov.

And the system is doing essentially the same thing. It's performing an unsupervised conference call and occupying two channels.

wsabee Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for everything.
I just recieved an excerpt from The DMS-500 manuel that describes the TCBT service.
It says that it is not supported on the OC-3 interface. On a DS-3 interface it allows the DMS to take both channels on the network side and release them from the customers PBX.
" The service allows the user side of a PRI to request a transfer from the network side. A succesfull transfer results in the freeing of the two previously busy-B Cahnnels and the interconnection, by the network side, of the two asscociated circuits."
Chpter 5-5 DMS-500 manual.
Also gives a similar scenario that I describe in first post. Also a diagram that shows responsibility being transfered to the DMS from the PBX. Hope this helps others.

Wsabee

Jason Doane
Owner
Tele-Consultants LLC
Cell 904.710.4418
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by kevhawk13:
It's the Norstar that is performing this function, so I don't understand how the carrier says they can't support it. What you described is an unsupervised conference and the call would still be held on the phone of the conference initiator. It's done all the time.
I believe (from experience) that this is considered a trunk to trunk transfer when using a PRI. It has to be enabled by the carrier.

Wsabee, I have the exact same setup at a customer site in Gainesville. They are using Deltacom and are able to make calls just like you're asking.

Does anyone know what is done on the customer side (PBX) to tell the CO that you are performing a TBCT.
Thanks

Ok, I ran across this board via google, and just for the fun of it decided to chime in. I have 2BCT working over NI2, normally its a touch-and-go over NI2 and is a lot more stable on DMS100 or 5ESS. I noticed a lot of carriers don't carry this feature because it is heavily reliant on the CPE equipment. I was fortunate to talk with the provisioning techs, then they went to the engineers, found the information and got back to me, when it didn't work the first time, they were nice enough to provide me with traces from their side while I did my own tracing, in the end it ended up working beautifully. Now why should all carriers do their best to get it working? because not only does the customer get their 2 bridged channels back, but then the switch can do a route optimization and possibly gain channels back.

Lets run through a quick scene here. You have a customer on the ILEC call you. You forwarded your phone to your home phone which happens to be on the ILEC, so the CLEC (between you and the ILEC) is sitting there using a channel from the ILEC to them, then a channel to you, a second channel from you and another channel back to the ILEC... 4 channels! ok, so when 2BCT works properly, your equipment will send a special message with the 2 call identifiers to the CLEC's switch and hopefully release your 2 channels, you think, wow, I now have 2 more channels I can do my business with, but lets see what happens (if properly engineered) at the CLEC's side..., they get the 2 channels from you freed up and then they see that they have 2 bridged channels with the link to the ILEC... their system (using SS7 calls for a route optimization and releases the call all the way back to the ILEC switch, (if they are the same switch) it may not be that perfect in practice but in the end if you can release the channels the cal l will be optimized to go through the least amount of switches possible which gives a clearer call and a lot less usage along the way.. Now you're thinking why is this guy so long winded and why do I care? because if you point all this out, maybe just maybe they will work harder to find the feature, turn it on, and make it work for you, because it will help them out too... (in a perfect world) some call it TBCT, some call it 2BCT and my carrier simply calls it "Channel Transfer"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,642 Shoretel
189,525 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024