web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
tantivy Offline OP
OP Offline
I work with a local non-profit opera company, and we were donated a 824 DR5 with Startalk C 2.04L. I found some manuals online, and have configured the system, except for a few nagging details.

The system as originally configured had a pair of M0X16 station modules, and a M12X0 trunk module, with 2 DID and 1 DS module installed, which are overkill for our needs. I have left the expansion card in place, as it seems to allow the use of virtual extensions, but I'm not using the modules.

All of our lines are loop start POTS lines, but for testing purposes, I have the system connected to station ports on a Panasonic 1232. Currently all the POTS lines land on single line phones, assigned to specific users. I'm planning on changing this to a circular hunt group.

We have 8 lines, one will normally be used incoming only, ringing to a virtual extension, with CCR answering after X number of rings.

6 other lines will be in/out, answered by CCR, defined as line pool A, with all sets defaulting to line pool A for outgoing calls.

The last line will either be incoming, or can be in/out, defined as line pool B. This number is presently spare, and the number is not part of our existing sequence of numbers. This would be a good candidate for remote access.

The questions are:

1. We would like to have a couple of branches in the CCR tree that forward to outside numbers. Is this possible with purely loop start trunks? We don't want to forward incoming lines.

2. Is there a way for a user to access their voicemail from offsite?

3. Is there a way of having an info-only mailbox return to the CCR menu, instead of disconnecting?

4. Is there a way for a user to transfer a call back to the CCR tree?

5. The system came from another local theater company, but unfortunately, they cleaned house of all manuals and utility disks before giving the system away. I'm looking for the utility disks (or images) for Startalk (5.25" floppies), just in case the disk takes a unscheduled vacation. Also the CCR configuration manual, although I think I have mostly figured it out.

Thanks.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
1) Forward what to outside numbers. You say you don't want to forward the lines.
2) I think it's the same as flash. Call in and hit the "*" key
3) Can't remember
4) I believe if the user transfers it back to the VM's DN (Feature 985 to find out)
5) Disks are long gone

That's an old VM and the hard drive could fail at any time. You may want to consider installing a Flash unit to avoid the inevidable.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
tantivy Offline OP
OP Offline
We want to have an option in the CCR tree to "press 6 for the box office at the theater", and another one for the theater green room, which are offsite numbers. I don't want to forward all calls there, but I want to give the callers the option of connecting to us there.

I was hoping to be able to create a virtual extension, and have that forward to the offsite number, but I haven't figure out to get that to work.

I know the Startalk is old, but it's what I have available, and the budget for this project is essentially zero.

I would suggest setting up 2 "Information" mailboxes. In those give out the number for them to call.

Originally posted by tantivy:
...I know the Startalk is old, but it's what I have available, and the budget for this project is essentially zero.
It usually is the case. Sooner or later the powers to be will have two options: no choice or no VM.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
That is an old system. Will try to answer your questions.

1) Transfer offsite. I don't think you can external forward on that old system. Maybe someone can verify that for me.

2) To access VM from off site, call in.
A) If a person answers, have them transfer you to your VM - then hit STAR STAR (**)
B) If you get AA, GenDel, or even someone else's VM just hit STAR STAR (**) then follow the prompts.

3) Info MB return to CCR - I can't remember if there is a way from an INFO MB or not, when you create it, it should give you that option, if it can do that. You may want to use the CCR INFO path instead, then set it up for HOME instead of disconnect.

4) Again being so old, I don't know if it will work, but they can try this: F986 x# where x=the CCR tree you want it to go to. It may not work in that old unit.

5) As MooreTel said it, disks are probably long gone. Best try is Google for it.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
tantivy Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok.. voicemail access from offsite works..

Still working on offsite forwarding. The problem with just putting the number in a info mailbox is that we don't really want to distribute the actual number, since it is non-published, and we share the line with other companies in the theater, and we only use it 6 weekends a year.

F986 doesn't work :-(

We can use the CCR info path if we have to.

Google implies that the disks are as rare as integrity in the current white house administration..

Maybe we should have mentioned that this VM has been classified "MD" (Manufacture Discontinued) for many years.

It won't have all the bells & whistles of the newer systems.

Also some installers have been known to "Walk away" from older systems like that when they give up, as the client doesn't want to spend the big bucks to repair/replace them (Me included).

The client that had one of those had the hard drive fail. After several quotes to repair/replace the unit I just gave up.

Basically, you have a "Boat Anchor" waiting to happen.....Sorry.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024