web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#142821 04/06/09 03:36 PM
OP Offline
Where to start!?!?lol I did a system move today. I took a MICS off the wall set it on the floor carefully. The customer decided to help and took the system accross the street to the new building and sat it down in the telephone room. I hung the cabinet, took out the two DS line cards and installed two CL cards. Finished off all terminations and power up the system. Co lines 1,2 and 3 come up. No 4. Checked programming all was the same and 4 was programmed correctly. I switched 3 to 4 and still no dial tone. I checked to make sure I had dial tone on 4 and it was there going into the system. Swapped cards from one slot to the other. Same thing. Checked the dip switches on the CL cards and the are all off. Still no 4. Moved co 4 to first port of second card and no dial tone. Switched it to second port and nothing. I cant get dial tone on any co ports other then 1,2 and 3. So decided to switch back to the DS cards and see if it comes up. Same thing. Only 1,2 and 3. I double checked programming and its right. I even tried a different 25 pair. Plugged it in and ran it straight to the demarc block. Still same thing. The customer allready moved the phones so I wasnt able to do a test before the took the system down so no way to verify it did work. Just going on their word.

Anyone got any ideas on where I can look next? I feel like I have checked everything. Two other people have told me the cards are bad but in my opinion the chances on 4 cards going bad with the same exact problems is probably the same chances of me knowing absolutely everything in the telephone world. Any help would be appreciated.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

#142822 04/06/09 04:45 PM
First I will check out buttons programmed on the Telephone with F*0 to make sure that I have all 4 lines Appear on the Extensions . Secondly I will make sure that on punch block I have L1 & 2, skipped two pair and then L3 & 4. Is the second CI card have lines connected to it? If yes how many? Once you press a line button does correct line number shows on display?

#142823 04/06/09 05:46 PM
Usually you can hear a "click" when the cards are ready. I have had systems before where you have to wait a couple of minutes for this to happen. Some will come up faster than others.

Back in February I had a customer with almost the exact same issue. I had good dial tone from at&t going into the line 3 port of a CICS. I tried and tried to get the line to come up. I checked the programming to make sure I hadn't missed anything, which I hadn't. I waited, heard the click on the card and assumed all was well. But no matter what, I simply could not get the line to come up.

After a good 15 minutes or so, I was in the process of explaining to the customer that I would have to replace the card. While I was explaining this to her, I was pressing the buttons for the lines to show her how things worked. When I pressed the line key that supposedly did not work, low and behold the DT was there. I still can't explain it. I left it as is for the time being and explained I had no idea why it took so long, or what the problem was. She decided that she would ride it out and use it as long as it was working. It may last another 6 months or 6 years, who knows.

Give it a good reboot or two, check the pins on the backplane, give the cards a once-over, or as a last resort default it and start over. You really don't have too many options other than replacing the cabinet or software. I'm with you, I doubt very seriously you have 4 bad cards.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
#142824 04/06/09 05:52 PM
This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. Try only one card at a time and see if port 4 comes up. Ironically, the card with all 4 lines seemed to knock out a port or two on the other card when installed. So at first, you assume that the card with the dead port is the problem, when in fact its the one with 4 working ports creating issues.

#142825 04/06/09 11:57 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
It this is now happening on both types of cards, ,y guess would be the wiring block somewhere. Check connections, change out the 25 pair. Had that problem too & was seldom the card.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#142826 04/07/09 12:23 AM
Sounds like you've done everything I would except verify you have DT at the amphenol end (port 4 is R/BL).

You might want to check for broken or bent pins in the KSU card slot. Sometimes they bend if the card is not inserted properly.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
#142827 04/07/09 01:21 AM
OP Offline
Yep tried all of that guys! To make sure it wasnt the amphenol I tried a different one. To make sure it wasnt the 66 block I took the new amphenol and ran it straight to the 110 block the dial tone is coming in on from the dmarc. We did power it down and check the pins. All was good. I checked the buttons a hundred times lol! When I press the button it says the line I have it punched down on. I tried switching ports so I would make sure it said that port on the button every time. We did let it sit for about a half hour to see if it was taking its time and still nothing. I will try running one of the cards like rustynails said and see if that will do anything.

Thanks for the help guys!

#142828 04/07/09 02:27 AM
Did you try disabling the cards and re-enable?
What is status for port 204?

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,677 Shoretel
189,670 CTX100 install
187,873 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 118 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024