web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
While watching re-runs of The West Wing on DVD recently, I noticed that the norstar phones on every desk had red and green lamps where I would expect the LCD 'triangles' to appear.

Were they just set props, or do (did) Norstar produce such a beast... and if they *are* available, would they function on my system? I am in the UK and use a Norstar Compact Plus with issue 4 software.

I've searched through the Norstar forum from top to bottom and can't find an answer - please forgive me if I am wasting your time, as that is not my intention.

Many thanks,
John

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

i saw the exact same thing on another show, i cant remember which and i even said to my wife i have never seen such a beast

Jay, a recovering IT guy
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Hmmm, the PBX (0ption 11/31/81/?) phones I've seen use the same construction as the CICS/MICS phones. But I seem to remember 'some' of the 1/2/3-line phones have dual color indicators.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
Thanks for your answers - it seems that they might exist in the real world after all.

I'll have to keep my eyes open and hope that I come across one for sale somewhere!

John

Oddly enough, I noticed something completely different...if you watch the West Wing, look at Leos desk. That wedge shape phone looks like an old QSU series phone from the SL-1, or perhaps even earlier. It appears to have a brown faceplate, which I don't think was available here, but could be gotten in Canada.

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!
Admin
Admin
Brown faceplates were from the old Logic-10 series sets which would fit the QSU-6X series SL-1 sets.

Have never seen red/green LEDs on Norstar series sets and I've installed them since day 1. There were some Unity analog sets with plastics that looked similar and had red LEDs....

[Linked Image]
In the back of my mind, it seemed there were older sets that used the same shell as the QSU60 & 61. When you mentioned the Logic-10 series, I remembered reading about them in old NTPs. I still think those are the nicest looking phones that ever sat on my desk. If I could run them off my Option 11, I would in a heart beat...

Also, there were other colors available for the faceplates, according to the relevent NTPs. I searched a long time to find Blue, but could never come across them...that was quite a while back, of course...

OP Offline
Hello SwedaGuy - I have also noticed the same phone on Leo's desk. That system was not too common in the UK, though GEC marketed it as the MX-1 Military Communications System. I've often thought how odd it was that Leo had a different phone on his desk to everyone else - but I just put that down to the TV Director not knowing diddly-squat about phone systems!

John

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,846
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,656 Shoretel
189,547 CTX100 install
187,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024