web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149524 09/01/11 02:36 AM
OP Offline
Hello all - I am seeking your help with a problem I'm having with my Nortel 0X32 system.

It is not the newest of systems - SP:30Nv100 GP9 is the version (and I forgot to write down the software version - sorry - and I don't trust myself to go and get it at the moment, as I am liable to take a hammer to whole system instead).

It has four analogue lines installed inside the main cabinet, and a M0X8A as an expansion cabinet.

Everything has been fine until yesterday, when I noticed that the analogue phones on the M0X8A were not receiving dial tone (although I can hear the DTMF beeps when I attempt to dial). The rest of the system continues to work perfectly, however.

Going into the Maintenance facility shows me that the module is empty. Clearly it's not.

I have tried... disabling it then enabling it; powering down, disconnecting the module, and then powering up again; doing the same but substituting a different fibre optic cable; doing the same but leaving everything disconnected for an hour or two before reconnecting and then powering up; doing the same but powering the module off it's own socket rather than the power bar.

None of it has had any effect. It is driving me to distraction, and I am going to have to hide all the hammers in a five mile radius to avoid temptation.

I can't think of anything that caused the fault - no power cuts, no knocks or jolts to the phone system, nothing.

The fact that I can generate DTMF on a phone connected to it leads me to suspect that the fault lies with either the fibre optic cable or the expander unit within the main cabinet. Before I go and buy a new card, can anyone think of anything that I should have done, or have done that I shouldn't?

(A bit about me: I'm an end user of a Nortel, having owned several since the min 90's, and am able to program with aplomb (usually). My background is more with vintage phone systems - strowger, PMBX, PABXs etc. - and as a computer technician (so I was properly 'grounded' whilst removing cards etc.)

As Princess Leah said to Obi Wan, "You're my only hope."

John

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Originally posted by John Baines:
.............I have tried... disabling it then enabling it; powering down, disconnecting the module, and then powering up again; doing the same but substituting a different fibre optic cable; doing the same but leaving everything disconnected for an hour or two before reconnecting and then powering up; doing the same but powering the module off it's own socket rather than the power bar..............

John
It is good for you to try all that you mentioned. One question: Once you powered back on, changed the fiber cable, etc.... how long did you wait before you tested it each time? The analog module, I have seen take many minutes for it to come ready. I would give it at least 5 min each time. I had the same thing happen. I didn't think whatever I did fixed anything. Then I got a phone call. After I hung up I went back to troubleshooting only to find it working.

I don't know what size expansion card you have or if you are using more than one port, but have you tried a different expansion port?

After that, it really sounds like that module bit the bullet.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
OP Offline
Hello NTlayoff

Thanks for your reply to my dilemma.

I have a two port expansion card, and the analog module is plugged in to the lower port. It's the only extra module, so there is one port free. I did try combinations of all the possible (lower connector on both expansion port and AEM; upper port on both; lower to upper and upper to lower).

To be honest I can't remember how long I waited between each permutation, but it was certainly at least 5 minutes. I had enough to make myself some tea and toast etc. (I needed to calm down).

I've ordered a new expansion port, which should be here on Monday - I hope that that sorts it!

Your last sentence... which module do you think might have bit the bullet? The expansion port or the AEM? I hope it's not the latter - life is already expensive enough as it is!

Thanks again for your help.

John

OP Offline
P.S. - I've just been and picked up a handset attached to the module in the hope that being left alone all day has sorted it. Sadly not.

John

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Originally posted by John Baines:
........which module do you think might have bit the bullet? .........John
I was talking about the Analog Station Module. I have seen those go bad, just the way you have described it. One moment it was working - the next, no dial tone.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
OP Offline
Oh well - I'll try the new expansion port when that arrives, and if it doesn't cure it I'll take the Analog Module out for a dignified private memorial service and move on.

Thanks again,

John

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,848
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,658 Shoretel
189,554 CTX100 install
187,812 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 166 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024