Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154695 12/21/05 06:34 AM
liz j Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi! My business recently received a set of Panasonic Telephones and Phone Network. However, the system did not come with a voicemail system. So, I am researching voice mail systems. From what I can tell, I think the most compatible and appropriate is the Panasonic TVS (or TVA) 50.
Here is my stupid question: when the VPS information speaks about "ports," does that mean telephone lines? We have 4 phone lines (including a fax line) and 8 separate telephone extensions. Am I on the right track? Can anyone help me?
It is a Panasonic "Digital Super Hybrid System" and the Model Number is D1232.

Thank You.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I don't think port really means a telephone line. Think of a port as a communications channel that the phone system uses to communictate with the voice mail system.

In our case, we have a TA624 hybrid phone system with a TVS50. We utilize 2 ports on our setup. This means that two separate callers could be leaving voicemail simultaneously.

In the system setup, each port is assigned a telephone extension (sometimes 107/108 or 115/116).

I hope this explains things a little bit without going into too much detail.

Mike

KLD Offline
You might find a few TVS 50s left in the supply line. The TVA has replaced it. You can figure that it takes two telephone extensions (predetermined by the system) for each VM segment. The TVA can have another segment addded making it a four port rather than just a two port system. This doubles the access paths to the VM from the telephone system. More memory can also be added. So you need to identify your usage and volume of traffic as well as the total number of stations that will have VM boxes and the amount of memory you desire.

A port equals a path. If you have heavy traffic and use an auto attendant, use more paths.

Now that I've totally confused you, look at modem, USB, and Network cards for the TVA. These may assist you in administrating the VM.

Good Luck.

KLD wink

Ken
---------
Originally posted by KLD:

A port equals a path. If you have heavy traffic and use an auto attendant, use more paths.
A 2 port voicemail has 2 paths. One person could be checking their messages while a caller is leaving a message in another mailbox. If 2 people were both checking their messages, then a caller could not get into your voicemail to leave a message.
If you are using the VM for auto attendant to answer the phones (the "press 1 for... messages you hear so often) then that also ties up one path whenever it is in use answerring a call.
A 2 port voicemail is awfully small. I would suggest getting a 4 port.

liz j Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! Thank you for the quick replies. I notice that these voicemail systems have add-ons (expansion cards?) that will increase the port numbers. Would you suggest simply going with the tva50 (or tvs--it's cheaper you know) and purchasing one or more expansion cards for higher traffic? I think we would definitely want more than two paths, but with 3 lines, we really don't get all that much traffic. I'm thinking an upgrade to a 4-port would be most appropriate. Although we have 8 extensions, we rarely have more than 5 or 6 people in the office at a time and I can't imagine all of us using the voicemail system at once. We are a church and the phones were donated, and we'd like to keep costs for voicemail as low as possible, as well.

liz j Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh. I just thought of another question--Are you aware of any other VPS' I should be looking into?

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Liz:

You are fortunate in the fact that your phone system will integrate with many voice mail systems as long as analog integration is used. We have successfully used ESI Voiceworks and Vodavi Talkpath (or Dispatch) with no problems at all. Still, I think you would do best to stick with a Panasonic voice mail system just so everything is the same.

I think that based upon your current system size, you can probably get away with two ports but it makes sense to buy something that can be expanded if the budget will allow.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Liz, what model system do you have.
If you have a TD digital system you can get two voice mail ports from one digital system port if using digital integration and a TVS voicemail.
Lets 1st find out what phone system you actually have.
MrG

KLD Offline
Mr. G, She stated in her orginal post about it being a D1232.

Thanks for bringing up the integration. It is nice.

KLD. wink

Ken
---------
The TVS50 cannot be expanded beyond 2 ports. The newer TVA50 can be expanded to 6 ports. The TVA50 programming is done via USB and is a Windows program, the TVS50 was a terminal program.

On the D1232 each telephone extension can provide 2 ports of voicemail. The system talks to the voicemial via ISDN. Additional features are added by using digital integration including Live Call Screening.

A rule-of-thumb for ports is you need 1 port of voicemail for each two outside lines IF you are directly answering outside calls with the autoattendant. If you are only using the autoattendant as a backup to a live attendant then 1 port for every 4 lines is good. Night call volumes are normally not an issue. The nice thing about the TVA50 is you could start with 2 ports and if you find that you need more then buy another 2 port card. If you buy the TVS50 you are stuck at 2 ports.

The TVS is cheaper because it is no longer manufactured. For the small difference in price, I say go with the TVA50.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,848
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,657 Shoretel
189,553 CTX100 install
187,812 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (SSPhone, MooreTel), 134 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024