web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
We have a customer using a newly-installed Vodavi STSe with a PRI (they are using about half of the channels for voice). After the installation and eleven subsequent visits, we are at a dead end with this customer.

They have four different companies sharing this system (I should say identities).

Anyway, they want to be able to selectively forward certain DID numbers to an off-premise number (likely the owner's cell phone). That part isn't too terribly hard to accomplish.

What is impossible is for the full telephone number of the DID that was dialed be displayed as caller ID on the cell phone. I can't get it to work on this system, Vodavi says it can't be done and I am about ready to throw my hands up.

The customer feels that their CLEC and/or Vodavi have misrepresented themselves here. Neither one of them ever told the customer that this can be done, nor did the customer ever ask us for this feature until weeks after the system was installed.

He seems to think that he's going to get Vodavi to buy the system back and pay for us to install some other system that WILL do this. I say it can't be done. Any ideas for something in a comparable price range?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Iwatsu's can do this, only with a PRI, but a lot depends on the LEC, and whether or not they'll allow the KSU to send the CID info. Most LEC's, at least in my area, look at you as if you had a third eye when you ask them about it. The short answer is usually no.

(Edited for speling...)

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
I know the Avaya IP Office will do it. So will a Legend/Magix if I understand your scenario correctly.

Do you need it to send the company DID number out or the caller's number back out?

If it's just the DID number then I would think most any system would handle that.

If you need the "original" caller id to be forwarded back out then that is a little trickier but the IP Office and a few others can do it if the CLEC/LEC allows for it.

OP Offline
OK, just so that we are clear, here is the typical scenario. I don't think it is as simple as it sounds:

Caller dials 703-555-1000 (DID);

Without it being answered, it is forwarded to a cell phone (as if they had telco *72 forwarding);

The calling number displayed on the cell phone is 703-555-1000.

Also, remember that we are seeking something comparably-priced to a Vodavi STSe which prices thousand$ below the IPO.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The Panasonic TDA100 can do it. As for comparable price to the STSe, I'm not sure.

I know the pricing for Vodavi is generally cheaper than Avaya but not familiar with pricing.

If it were a Legend/Magix, it would have to be done via "remote call forwarding" Call in on one channel, ext(real or phantom) set to forward call back out on another channel.

So what does the Vodavi send out normally?

Most LEC's/CLEC's will only let you assign outbound CID to a number in your block. There ARE some that will let you assign any outbound CID that you want but they are few and far between. If his LEC/CLEC wont allow him to set outbound CID outside of his block then he is done. Doesn't matter what system you get.

He needs to check his contract with his provider. They wont care what he thinks unless he's within 3-months of contract end. Been there, gone down that road.

Other then that, I got no suggestions on a system for you.

I've put Asterisk between older legacy systems and the PSTN in order to artificially give it extra call features and capabilities. This would still add that thousand or so back to the system that you were trying to avoid with the IPO. In addition to that it would be something foreign that you may or may not have ever dealt with before. Not always the best way to go smile

Another thing to look into on the vodavi (programming wise) is being able to do flash-hook analog transfer (that's what verizon calls it here). Basically you flash the line, dial the number to send the call to, then hang up. The CO will re-route the call to the number you dialed and free up that channel. Dunno if you can get that complex with vodavi or not.

Can you set outgoing caller ID per extension? Make the incoming target of the number an extension that forwards back out.
PS - you can do this on asterisk :-)

Yes, all of this can be done on asterisk quite easily. But that's only an option if ed has experience with it. I know that Avaya makes a Hybrid system, but I wouldn't install it because i'm inexperienced with it. Same thing smile

There is also a chance the the C/LEC is not even letting them set CID on their own block of numbers. It could be assigning all outbound calls to just one # or a predefined number depending on the outgoing channel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, hitechcomm), 142 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024