Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170539 05/31/12 02:53 PM
OP Offline
Hello All

First let me admit that I am not a Panasonic dealer, but was asked to “take a look at” a 1232 today.

The customer is complaining of a “whine” on the lines. It is on all phones. I disconnected the modular plugs that the COs are on going into the KSU, pressed a line key and the noise was still there. I expect that this rules out noise on the lines. To add some weirdness to the mix, an outside caller cannot hear the whine at all.
Station to station intercom calls are clear, no noise. I expect that this can rule out phone sets and interference on the station cable.
Just for kicks I power cycled the KSU-no change.

Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms, and did I miss anything as it looks to me that the only remaining point of failure is the KSU itself.

All help is appreciated…

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#170540 06/01/12 04:51 AM
high loop current?new provider possibly ?
do you have a spare 12x and cards that you can swap out to rule out the system problem? do you have dimmers on site on that lights?
I have had to ship off a tda 50 -1 for that problem

#170541 06/01/12 06:12 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
It would seem that you've tried everything. I would say you've eliminated all but the cabinet itself. Clutching at straws: anything in the phone room, computer server, UPS, etc? If you have no MOH, try putting in a MOH feed of some sort temporarily. I'd bet that what you are hearing is the 'switcher' P/S getting ready to die. It's high operating Freq is not being completely rectified and filtered.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#170542 06/02/12 04:46 AM
OP Offline
the problem began soon after they switched from at&t to comcast. but the noise is still there when all the lines are removed from the system.

I dont think high loop current is a factor if the line is not on the system. am I not understaning your advice?

#170543 06/02/12 05:28 AM
I agree High loop current is not the problem unless it has permanently damaged the same component in every C.O. port. (Possible) Do you have any unused C.O. ports you can test with?

I WOULD check loop current. High (over 28 ma) has caused damage for me. Not on a Panasonic system, however.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I have a customer with the same whine on a 1232. All my tests show it is only coming from the system. The caller from the home hears the whine, but the called person does not hear it. How did this finally get resolved?

If you can, roll out the cards. But I think Lightninghorse is right. I had a similar thing a few years back and it was the Power supply. High freq. hum in the background but it was also on sta-sta calls.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It is the power supply. I had two of them do the same thing within the past few months. The good thing about Panasonic stuff is that you can replace components. Lots of screws, but it can be done.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Yoda), 144 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024