Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#17218 11/13/07 11:39 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Never heard of a $15 answering machine?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#17219 11/13/07 12:12 PM
I have a phone in every room except the bathrooms, living room (nobody ever goes in there), and dining room. We even have a phone in the garage. Sometimes my dad wants to use the phone while mowing the lawn :p

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#17220 11/13/07 12:21 PM
My point was that if I was the calling client, I'm pretty sure I'd rather get an answering machine, than get answered between "bathroom noises"

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
#17221 11/13/07 01:37 PM
We have a competitor, a platinum dealer who occupies the same building as the company my wife works for. They are so cutthroat that their sales weasels take their cordlesses into the mens room and can be heard making deals in between flushes.

If that's what it takes to reach the platinum level there's something wrong.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#17222 11/14/07 06:57 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Never heard of a $15 answering machine?
Yes, I've heard of one. Answering machines are one level worse than no answer at all.

I'm capable of suppressing "bathroom noises" for the 10 seconds it takes to tell a client that I'll call right back.

As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human.

This is the way I run my customer service department. If you ever call, I'll make sure to not answer or let the answering machine pick it up.

#17223 11/14/07 08:48 AM
"As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human."

Ahh, the good old days. Unfortunately, they are all but long gone. Nowadays, almost everyone has either an answering machine +/or AA.

Many years ago when my 1st wife & I broke up, I got an answering machine. She told me that she wouldn't talk to it. She was given a choice of two; "Talk to it" or "Talk to a ringing phone"...she learned to deal with it, as most people eventually do (especially since I had the kids).

Personally I'd rather leave a message and thus put the onis on the called party to return the call in lieu of trying over & over to reach them. I have better things to do.

#17224 11/14/07 09:28 AM
"As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human."

Unfortunately most humans can only do one thing at a time. Unless you are the Maytag repairman you're not sitting around waiting for my call. I would much rather leave a voice mail message (or email) that you can attend to when you have time than waste my time trying to get you in person. So it works both ways.

The "I hate voice mail" line always comes from the same people who are never satisfied anyway so why bother. Do what makes life easier for YOU and the hell with them.

When I call my distributor most times I'll get my reps voice mail. I just leave my order and a day later it arrives. If I wanted to talk to him I would have to sit around the office all day.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#17225 11/14/07 12:21 PM
OP Offline
Unless you are the Maytag repairman you're not sitting around waiting for my call

I'm not the Maytag repairman, but I am waiting for a call. All Day, Every day, 24x7.

This is the whole reason you all met me - I needed a second line to answer those calls, always wanted a 1A2.

Perfect match.

I need calls. I want calls. If I have to put them on hold, I want MOH to at least give the perception they are dealing with a reputable company. True, MOH doesn't imply a reputable company per se; but it does give the customer the "feeling" that the company they are dealing with isn't running out of their basement.

Perception is fact.

And when I get that call, I do everything within my power to make the customer satisfied. So I can make a sale. So I can pay my mortgage.

The first step in all those goals is to have voice contact with the customer.

I would much rather leave a voice mail message (or email) that you can attend to when you have time than waste my time trying to get you in person.

I see your point, however, to me an answering machine implies that the person calling isn't important enough, or that the company isn't big enough - to make human to human contact. Just sends a bad message, IMHO.

It does go both ways, I agree; but it depends on your customer/supplier base, and the business you are in.

My business is a bit different. I get calls from people that need their software problem fixed... I don't have distributors, I don't order things, etc. If there is a problem, it's with my software, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

IMO, this in something that requires immediate attention, whether or not I'm on the john. The problem is expanded by an order of magnitude when you realize that everyone else I've sold my product to has the same problem, whether or not they have yet realized it.

Regardless, I've always operated under the principle that the customer comes first, regardless of all else.

Respects,
- Matt

#17226 11/14/07 12:37 PM
My business is a bit different.

No, not really.

I get calls from people that need their software problem fixed... I don't have distributors, I don't order things, etc. If there is a problem, it's with my software, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

How about:

I get calls from people that need their telephone problem fixed... If there is a problem, it's with my equipment, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

Looks like you are in the same boat as most here.

-Hal

#17227 11/14/07 01:36 PM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
We have pretty well trained all of our core customers to e-mail us today with a problem, comment, or whatever; we look at it either tonight or tomorrow morning--then either e-mail them back or give them a call. Many days---all of us are out either making sales calls, meeting with people, doing MACs or installing new systems. W're very busy. Time is precious.

If the new people who call get upset with leaving a VM message (it IS almost 2008) that's the first step in the "weeding out" process.

There are times when I call forward to my cell phone--because there might be a call that I really want to take---but that's only once or twice a week.

On the weekends--all calls are answered by AA--even the residential calls. If they don't know my cell number and can't press "1" or "2"--then call Monday. JMHO

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,221 Shoretel
188,993 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 142 guests, and 398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024