web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me in regards to connecting a Telrad Digital 400 system to a Cisco voice router via a T1 card. While I know the Telrad in a basic fashion, I'm a bit over my head on this one and lacking a Telrad engineer.

Here's the situation: I have a Digital 400 system software v607. T1 card in cabinet not being used. I'd like to link the D400 to a new Cisco 2821 voice router with a T1 interface card. The Cisco will have Call Manager Express on it to service about 20 VoIP phones. I'd like to know if I can get just basic calling features to function between the two. Dialing an extension between systems, making an outbound call from Cisco through Telrad, inbound calls to the Cisco. That's about it.
The Cisco engineers have asked me about the signaling setup on the T1 card. They asked (their words, not mine) "...if it can be configured as a PSTN (NI Signaling) interface? If not can it be a CAS T1 interface?" I'm not sure what they are asking but maybe someone can explain. I do have the Telrad DigiDocs CD and I can find quite a bit about connecting two Telrads but not to another PBX. Also, I'm trying to find the specs in the docs on the T1 card. If you know which doc those are in, I'd appreciate that info.
It does seem that if I upgraded to version 7 and added an N12 or N24 card I'd have more options including the ability to use my Imagen voicemail, but I'd rather not put in more money unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you in advance for any advice or direction you can give.
RH
Austin, TX

[This message has been edited by vidkidruss (edited April 18, 2005).]

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Ok, maybe I should Google and read more before I post but maybe someone can comment if I am understanding correctly.
I found a Cisco article explaining that CAS or Channel Associated Signaling is a standard over T1. It uses rEcieve and transMit so I'd setup the Telrad T1 as a TIE line (E&M). One question I'm not sure about is if I would need a CSU between the Telrad T1 card and the Cisco T1 card which I believe is a CSU/DSU card.
Am I barking up the right tree?
Thanks again,
RH
Austin, TX

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
The ciso is a DSU. But were are you getting your service from. Is this for networking two systems or for out going calls.

------------------
Need cable or other voice/data hardware? Here's your link. Telephone Supplies

Administrator
Administrator
OK STOP
Why are we seeing all of these questions about Telrad to Cisco. 3 Years ago Telrad merged with (at that Time) the 3rd largest IP based manufature. Conguerancy. Now it's Telrad Connegy with a IP platfrom as good or better than the other guys. As a Telrad Dealer and a Moderator for the Telrad Section all I ask is before you go out and buy(I want to say waste your money) another product why not use the Telrad products that the Telrad egineers and many of the Telrad Dealers have already tested and know work.

------------------
ssimpson@oneringtelecom.com Need a Telrad Programmer Kit? Telrad Programmer Kits

[This message has been edited by SSPhone (edited April 18, 2005).]

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
I would have to agree with SS, why are you using Cisco? Your going to have nothing but problems with that setup.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
OP Offline
First, thanks tony3866 for replying with tech support and asking for more info. The setup is for networking the Telrad and the Cisco. All calls to the PSTN will go through a PRI connection in the Telrad.

As to the others who replied to my post I don't really see why I should have to justify my situation to you. No one wants to hear about my technology decisions or the long and thoughtful consideration that went into making them. I was unaware that this was a forum where I was going to be berated by vendors and others looking to support their own position. If you don't want to provide a tech suggestion then don't post. If this is not an open forum for support then I'm sorry to have bothered y'all.

RH

Administrator
Administrator
Sorry to offend there partner. My statement was not just at you but for all who read the Telrad section to inform them that there is a better way. Stay within the product lines and let the engineers for the manufacture do the brain busting. As far a your decision to buy another manufacters product shame on the Telrad Dealer who sold you the system in the first place for not calling on you and selling you on the Telrad products but maybe they did try. As far as posting a tech suggestion My suggetion is to upgrade your existing Telrad system to E2E-2.08 add a TVsE server and intall Telrad 3015IP phones. The setup that you are trying is going to drive you crazy with problems. Good Luck

Just one more thing Please complete your profile if you want to contune being supported or berated

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
Are these two systems on at the same site. If so or even not the only way I can think of is to link them togetheir, is to
network them with t-1 card to t-1 card. It's going to cost alot. you also have to keep in mind how many DTMF receivers you need on the Telrad end. I don't know the cisco system so you would have to find that on your own. Alot of programing involed but it should work fine for you.

And were here to help no need for the outbrust.

We just want to give you the most info we can so you can make the right decision for your company and your needs.

------------------
Need cable or other voice/data hardware? Here's your link. Telephone Supplies

I'm intrigued by your problem. Although I'm used to dealing with E1's and not T1's, your major problem is compatibility between the 2 ends. PRI in itself doesn't offer the ability to swap extn digits, call clearing etc, just an open channel to send protocol down. You need a protocol such as digital CAS, or QSig on the Telrad. If these 2 ends are set alike, you have compatibility and in theory it should work (to some degree). The alternative is a protocol converter in between, translating events so that either end can understand. Check out the Q.931 standards for what you need, I'd say you have very little chance of getting chalk to talk to cheese. Andy

RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
vidkidruss
This forum is to give you as much information as possible, if you aren't interested in all the information set forth...so be it, but no one is berating you and looking to support their own position. They are trying to give you the facts. It's like trying to put a Chevy motor in a Ford Chassis...it will work, but with some problems, but why.
You stated in your first post:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm a bit over my head on this one and lacking a Telrad engineer.</font>
Take the information and do with it what you want. Good Luck

------------------
| Need a Telephone | Telephone Installers

Moderated by  SSPhone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 152 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024