web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tstuve Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

thanks in advance for any help/direction.

We've got a Toshiba Strata DK280 and are experiencing line faiures 2-3 times per day. We've got a total of 6 lines coming in - one of which is a fax. At roughly 10 a.m., 1:00pm and sometimes later in the afternoon at random times, anywhere from 1-4 lines will go dead for a few minutes. We've had Qwest try to diagnose the problem umpteen million times to no avail. They say it's in our phone system - but where? Any ideas where I should start?

Tom

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
At first glance, sounds like its outside. But try the obvious stuff first. Is it always the same lines? Swap them around on the RCOU cards, see if it follows.

Good Luck

------------------
fingerlakestelecom.net

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom
Are you certain that the lines are going dead? Toshiba DKT2000 series phones have hookswitch issues. You will start randomly dropping calls. I am going to bet that this is a hookswitch problem and that it is isolated to a few phones.

------------------
Avaya Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

tstuve Offline OP
OP Offline
We have the 2000 series phones. How can I tell if it is hookswitch related, and how to recover from it?

Thanks again.

tstuve Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, this is a dumb question I'm sure, but when these lines go dead, by the time Qwest calls back and/or sends someone out, the problem how cleared-up. How can I test the lines coming in when this occurs. I know nothing about voice, but it looks like a the incoming lines go through a 25-pair demarc box, then to a series of 2 66 blocks. Do I test at the 25 pair demarc?

Sorry for my novice-ness.

To test for hookswitch issues, use the speakerphone instead of the handset. Usually it's specific to certain phones and only happens when you're using the handset. When a line goes dead, try using that line on other phones. If it works on some phones but not others, it's in your system. Also, hookswitch issues will also affect intercom calls.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
tstuve Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! I'll check these out, but so far, the problem affects all phones - same lines are dead for everyone.

tom

I think voyager had the best idea, if you have more than 4 lines try the lines on a different rcou or maybe even try moving the rcou to a different slot in the system and reprogram accordingly.

If the line problems follow the lines to the new card it is more than likely a bell issue and persue quest more.

www.tspa.us
Tri-State Voice and Data Servicing Tadiran, Nortel, and Avaya; in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.
If the same lines are going dead on all of the phones and other lines are accesible, it is definitely not a hookswitch issue.
Start with what Voyager suggested.
BTW, providers will very rarely accept that something might be their fault unless the evidience is overwhelming and staring them in the face.
I would try wiring a single line set (regular telephone) into one of the lines that goes dead before it hits your system. As soon as the lines go dead on your system, run over and try to make a call.
If the line is dead at that phone, it is a provider issue. If that phone works, it is in your system.

------------------
Avaya Telephone Repair
Toshiba Telephone Repair

tstuve Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all your advice. I called a phone installer and he came out to look things over. We have a fax line that bypasses our phone system entirely, yet it goes out when our lines 2 and 3 go out - which indicates a qwest issue. I was going to have him install test jacks ahead of the demarc, but he's going to lend me a spare phone testset to check them when they go down next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,701 CTX100 install
186,789 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024