Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
will23 Offline OP
OP Offline
hi, it's been IP phone meltdown month. i have 1 quirk and 1 possible problem.

problem first: i sent an IP phone out to our PA office. i fully tested it without problems both on the local network and from my home before sending it out there. the PA office is set up with a DSL modem (acting as a bridge) then a wireless router (a linksys WRT54xx), and the IP phone is getting its address from the router. the desktop (also connected to the linksys) can ping the IP phone and can ping the IPU address. but after the phone acquires its address and searches, it says "IPU Connect Error". which i remember don't remember even seeing in the list of errors. the tech that set up the linksys said that all of the firewalling was shut off, but i also remember reading somewhere on this board that the the linksys should be good to go right out of the box. thoughts? advise?

and the annoying quirk: when i have vm, i press my MSG button and put in my password like: 123456#. i can also put in just the 123456 and after a few moments, it will accept that i've finished and process the password. so far so good. on all of the IP phones, if i push the MSG button and put in 123456# it says "incorrect password" every single time, but i can put in 123456 and just wait for it to validate the password and it works fine. how come i can't push pound at the end of the password for the IP phones? if i put in mailbox number also (i.e.: 123#123456#) then it also works fine.

thanks!

- will

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Plug the IP phone directly into the DSL modem and try to rule out the Linksys.

Most DSL accounts require a login, which the IP phone can't do. Try setting up a different router with their login and default settings and see if that works.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
will23 Offline OP
OP Offline
phonemeister - i will give that a shot.

junkman - like for a PPPoE connection (which i don't think it is)? the DSL modem should be handling that if that were the case. SBC switched me to PPPoE earlier last year but i didn't have a problem with it. this user is on speakeasy...

On the voice mail part, try to get the Toshiba guys to program your IP Phone's "Voice Mail ID".

I'm using DSL too (at home), the only difference is I set my own static private IP on the IP phone. Just checking, have you set the correct IPU address at the IP Phone?

- alfee -
will23 Offline OP
OP Offline
alfee - i had the phone connecting to the IPU no problem before i shipped it out - apparently its some weird quirk in the linksys that is causing this.

phonemeister - that totally worked. so, the hang up is definitely in the linksys. i talked to linksys and they said i need to set up port forwarding on the linksys. i'm not entirely sure about that, but i'm going to give it a shot.

Port forwarding shouldn't be necessary. Can the IP phone ping the IPU? Do you have diffserv or 802.1p enabled? Have you reset the IPU?

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
will23 Offline OP
OP Offline
junkman - i didn't think so either and as it is, its not working... but - i have the port listing for the IPU and forwarded all of those ports. however, those aren't necessarily the same ports that the IPT would need open.

**anyone have a list of ports the IPT uses?

i think the IPT is actually connecting, as i can see its MAC addr & software version in the IPT data page of eManager. diffserv and 802.1p are both "disabled" -- but this worked fine when we removed the linksys from the equation. as for pinging the IPU, i couldn't figure out how to make the phone ping the IPU, i couldn't get it to work on a phone that was connected fine, but i can ping the IPU & the IPT from the desktop (also behind the linksys).

thanks!

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Don't know if this will work, but try putting the IPT in a DMZ. The DMZ option is in the Linksys.

will23 Offline OP
OP Offline
i thought of that too, but still no love.

any recommendations for a home-office priced wireless router that will run with the IPT out-of-the-box?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,741 Shoretel
189,816 CTX100 install
187,942 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024