Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
First of all I am an IT Manager with about three years experience using CTX WinAdmin software for making Adds, Moves, and Changes. This system is on WinAdmin 2.22A.15 and the CTX670 is R2.22 MH214. The CTX100 are at R2.21 MH112, R2.22 MH214, and R2.22 MH214

We have four locations connected in a hub to our corporate office. The connections are Point-to-Point T1's. The main office is a CTX 670 with CTX 100's at each remote site. Between 2 of the remote sites and the main office we use Toshiba's VoIP and networking to connect between the CTXes. The other remote location is larger with more traffic, so we elected to channelize the T1 and use 2/3 for IP data, and 1/3 to provide 8 voice channels.

Since the original setup we have had problems with some (not all) of the Fax machines that use the Channelized T1 for faxing (see problem below). I do not know where to look to fix this, and I have tried setting program 200-Station Data Item 14-Bearer Capability to Speech. Which is how I understand it to work. Perhaps you could explain this better? This never seems to experience a problem over long distance services, only through the T1. Sometimes the problem seems worse than others.

Recently, we began having problems with one of our faxes that goes to the VoIP branches. It works ok if we dial the remote fax over Long distance, but through the VoIP it crashes over 50% of the time. This means the entire fax must be resent (ECM is enabled on the fax) or there are sections of the page missing (if ECM is off on the fax).

Things I have tried:
  • Change out Fax machine at both ends.
  • Turn off ECM (error correction). -This just make the output have missing text, like packets just didn't make it.
  • Change the baud rate. -No effect.
  • Re-Punched the wired connections to the fax machine.
  • Moved to different wire run/wall plate.

Any suggestions, or do you need any more information?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I'm not sure if your problems can be resolved on a forum. I'm thinking that you'll be better served by having a Toshiba dealer come out and work with tech support if need be. In the meantime, you can check to see if you have the clocking set correctly on your routers or DSUs.

Just curious....What type of Voicemail do you have?
Might it be a IEs32?
Is it Centralized VM?
I also agree with the clocking issue and/or slips.

jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by phonemeister:
I'm not sure if your problems can be resolved on a forum. I'm thinking that you'll be better served by having a Toshiba dealer come out and work with tech support if need be. In the meantime, you can check to see if you have the clocking set correctly on your routers or DSUs.
I had thought of this, and I have discussed this problem with our Toshiba Dealer in the past. It seems that we have checked most things. However, I personally have not checked how the clocking is set.

If I understand it correctly, there should only be one clock source for the whole WAN, or is it one clock source per T1 connection. I would imagine that this would need to be set for each device that touches the T1.

Here are my questions.
  • What is the best clock source?
  • Does this need to be set in the CSU/DSU as well as the Toshiba Hardware?
  • Do the cisco routers also agree upon a clock source?

One other point. The Channelized T1 has its own PRI card in the CTX670. There is also a PRI card for the incoming PRI lines. Wouldn't the Toshiba hardware need to have a clock set to two different PRI sources, in order to accept faxes from the PRI lines, and the WAN T1?

jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Toshiba Bob:
Just curious....What type of Voicemail do you have?
Might it be a IEs32?
Is it Centralized VM?
I also agree with the clocking issue and/or slips.
Yes it is an iES32 and centralized VM for the entire organization. How would this pertain to the faxing question? Unless this tells you that we are using Toshiba's Strata Net QSIG Networking. Which I failed to mention.

What are slips?

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
For the point to point connections, one of the routers and/or CSU/DSUs should provide the clocking and the other should 'slave' off of it. This is done on the routers or DSUs. If you don't have proper clocking you may experience slips in the T1 connection which usually affects faxing.

jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by phonemeister:
For the point to point connections, one of the routers and/or CSU/DSUs should provide the clocking and the other should 'slave' off of it. This is done on the routers or DSUs. If you don't have proper clocking you may experience slips in the T1 connection which usually affects faxing.
So I would check this by looking in the router and DSU configs, but what am I looking for? I would imagine that Cisco and Adtran both have different setting possibilities. Most of this type of setup was done by our Toshiba/Cisco dealer, although I have messed with it in the past. I will start with reading the manual. Any pointers would be appreciated.

-Thanks

jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
The following reference is helping quite a bit in understanding how the system works. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it has impressed upon me the importance of getting the clocking right.

https://www.oreilly.com/catalog/t1survival/chapter/ch05.html

jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
In researching my router & CSU/DSU configuration. I found this article that helps decipher some of the clocking setup, for the channelized T1.

https://www.adtran.com/adtranpx/Doc.../CU-eeb6a97ee79511d68ff2010a4b3bbde.html

Red Offline
Faxing over VoIP (QSIG or from the MAS) is not supported I am told by Tech Support

red

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,487 CTX100 install
187,694 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024