web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Weird, ping to our default gateway is 21ms average.

Thanks,
Rick
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by rglassband:
With T1 (at office) into switch out to static ip at phone and static ip at firewall (network), ping from home computer on verizon fios to phone ip address is 81ms average at 10p. Could it be different with internet traffic during work hours?

Now we are not prioritizing, but when we did try that, we used a router that gave up 100% priority to phone ip address. That made no difference.

Phone ip card is after switch that T1 goes into. Out of switch are 2 ethernet cables. One to firewall-network and one to phones. They each have their own static ip address.

What issues could I have if Diffserv is disabled?
Since you are basically going over the internet, Diffserv won't make a difference of call quality over the internet but can cause issues if it is turned on and the Cable companies are not configured to look for it. Diffserv would play a big role if you had an AVPN or MPLS network topology with multiple sites. It would give priority to the voice packets.

cable modem attached to phone system or at remote ip phone sites? Does cable include verizon fios, dsl type service?

Thanks,
Rick
I don't know how useful this will be but here at my facility we're using G711 codecs primary and G729A secondary for for phones right here on the campuses, and for remote users I have G729A as the primary and no secondary selected. I've had good luck with this setup. You'll want to use voice packet table 2 with G729A. G711 would probably be a bit too heavy for a remote phone over a DSL or Cable connection in most cases.

The setup at the office is typically how I have set it up. The IP card needs a public IP address to work, but since it is outside the router it makes it difficult to have a router proritize traffic.

Ping of 81ms from end to end is pretty good, if it is like that all the time. Last time I was trying to troubleshoot call quality, I had very good ping results most of the time, then there would be spikes of like 500+ms. I was trobubleshooting on the IP phone side, but the delays were on the phone system side.I believe it was some server that would burst a large amount of data periodically, and that is when the calls sounded bad.

You can definately try using G729A to see if it works better. If delay is a problem and not bandwith, then it could sound worse.

In the office now and have IP phone with me. IP phone is connected to office network, phone system is on own cable modem separate from network.

ping from work station connected to ip phone was 58 ms average, but at other ping attempts, there were timeouts and loss 25%. I spoke with someone on the ip phone for a while. Every so often, I could not hear them and then call got disconnected eventually. Good quality most of the call. Call was to another digital extension in my office.

Thanks,
Rick
Diffserv is still enabled. My toshiba guy did not want to disable it.

Thanks,
Rick
The cable modem dedicated to the phone system is 5 down 800K up. Is that enough, or do i need to bump it to 10 down, 2 up?

Thanks,
Rick
Originally posted by rglassband:
Diffserv is still enabled. My toshiba guy did not want to disable it.
You can have him at least try it and if it doesn't get better or fix it you can always turn it back on.

Thaks for the reply. I think I can do it in eManager. Is it in IP-Telephony-->system IP data assignment-->03 Diffserv disable?

Are there any other settings I can and should tinker with? Audio codec for remote IP phones are G711 with secondary audio codec for full IP station at G729A. Any others?

Using cable modem at one remote IP phone and verizon fios at another and cable modem at the system with 5 down 800K up.

Thanks,
Rick
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,389 Shoretel
189,106 CTX100 install
187,417 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (highlysecptial), 139 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024