web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thanks. Trying to figure out why my dealer put codec at g711 and g729a as secondary and this forum recommends g729a only and no secondary.

I have cable 5/800K at system and fios 10/2 and cable 5/1 at remote phones.

Thanks,
Rick
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well I suggested that because that is a setup I've had very good success with. I have two remote IP phones. One VERY far away in Washington state, and another at my home 30 minutes away. We're talking a lot more hops to Washington, but the voice quality is the same. I've used both with G729A. If you mouse over the codec in eManager, it actually suggests using that codec for remote IP phones using a DSL or Cable connection.

The dealer probably used the default settings. I believe when you set up an IP phone for the first time in eManager it almost always gives you G711 for a primary and G729 for a secondary codec. That could be your answer regarding that one.

Thank you again. This is the 1st time I have been able use the IP phone in 2 years of having the system. I used it all day without issue. I hope that is an indication of future use.

My boss is thrilled. I will not be sharing this info with my dealer and they will no longer be my dealer. Toshiba got involved a year ago and they were worthless too.

Thanks,
Rick
Originally posted by rglassband:
Thank you again. This is the 1st time I have been able use the IP phone in 2 years of having the system. I used it all day without issue. I hope that is an indication of future use.

My boss is thrilled. I will not be sharing this info with my dealer and they will no longer be my dealer. Toshiba got involved a year ago and they were worthless too.
FYI...G.711 is the default compression algorithm on a Toshiba system.

Pat Austin
Teleco Inc.
Product Manager/Sales Engineer
Adtran ATSP
TCTE/CTP Certified

Teleco Homepage
IP phones worked well for the day yesterday, but at 6p, I heard alot of garble then phone went dead and came back couple minutes later. Internet at my house on same router was still up though and phone system modem was still up.

Any other suggestions on disable/enable?

Thanks,
Rick
Download/install/run pingplotter.
Leave it running/pinging the IPU card.
Voip is a realtime protocol (RTP). Most likely either your or the IPU end had severe delay or packet loss. Computers don't care cuz if a packet is lost, the other end asks for a resend.
Not so with voip, no packets are ever resent.
Leave pingplotter running ALL THE TIME at about 2.5 sec intervals. When you experience the problem again (and you likely will) you will see which router hop is being bad.
Were you or someone else at home downloading large files at the time? Maybe a bunch of Windows updates at the IPU end?

Dave

Manager of technical services
Mitel/Toshiba dealer for 25 years
TAG member
6pm is a bad time for open internet calls no matter where you are. Everyone is getting home and jumping on the net. Modem would still show up because it is more tolerant of bandwidth issues.

Tadiran,
Absolutely right. Even dsl users once the packets leave the providers' domain are subject to anything and everything going on in the internet.
Voip has issues with delay and jitter, but packet loss is a killer!

Dave

TAG member
It's funny cuz I always figured the Internet was busier during working hours, then at night.

Since phone have their own internet, and you or someone in your home isn't streaming a new music video, then it could be the internet provider.

We had to take back an IP phone because we just could not get the one phone to work at all over a DSL connection. The bandwith it just one factor. Delay and jitter are at least as important considerations.

I downloaded the free version of ping plotter. That looks like a very usefull tool to track connection problems. I would keep that running al the time, then look at it if you have a problem with a call. It doesn't look like the free version will keep logs or statistics. I didn't check to see if the other versions had a time trial.

newtecky,
yep the pro version has a "vcr" type function to see the history from many hours ago.
Pro version is 30 days I think with nothing hobbled.
Will give you jitter and a voip mos score as well. Best $150.00 i ever spent.

Rick,
It sounds like you licked a hardware/software problem. Let's look at the internet again. I know you are rolling your eyes after 2 years but hear me... seriously...

Dave

TAG member
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,388 Shoretel
189,102 CTX100 install
187,417 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 154 guests, and 365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024