web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Have been running ping plotter and am seeing some packet loss and some latency at certain hops. What do I do with the information?

Thanks,
Rick
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

now getting substantial packet loss consistently at the phone system and remote phone has disconnected itself.

Thanks,
Rick
If it is at certain "hops" then there really isn't much you can do since you are at the mercy of the internet providers. Possibly put a VPN connection between the remote site and the main site, at least you can try to control the packet loss that way by have a VPN tunnel nailing up the connection always instead of just the keep alive packets going every few times...

How do I set up a VPN from remote phone to system?

I did try to set up a vpn from my home computer to the phone system. Didn't work?

I also work through a vpn to my office, but that's to my office data network, which does not contain the phone system.

Thanks,
Rick
Pingplotter will, hopefully tell you were the problem is occuring. If, for example, you are getting timeouts at the phone system IP card, but the hop just before that one is looking good, then you have to look closer to that side. If the gateway to the phone system looks good all the time, thing maybe something internal, like a data switch, or the IP card itself.

If the problem is somewhere towards the middle, then it is definately a problem with the internet connection. Not sure how to solve that one, except to try calling the provider and seeing if they can help.

You are seeing ping results from the connections on the way to the phone system. Rememeber you are looking for where the connection problems start.

In order to create a VPN for the phone system, you would need a router on each end to create a tunnel, which means you would have to put the IPU on the phone system behind a router, then everyone that connect to it would need to use a VPN.

And, is 5 down 800K up enough cable modem speed at the phone system?

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick,
G711 phone calls take about 100k.
G729 (compressed) take about 40k.
Because your upload speed is 800k, that is your effective limit (there is no use being able to hear if you cannot speak, right).
Also, nobody ever gets what they bought speed wise.
So, if the connection was used FOR VOICE ONLY, you'd be OK up to 7 simultaneous phone calls at G711.
Obviously, if the connection is shared, the computers will hog as much bandwidth as possible without some form of traffic shaping or Qos.
I don't know how many phones you have or what your computer needs are so can't really say if 5/800 is enough or not.
One thing is for sure though, if you are experiencing lots of delay and packet loss, increasing the bandwidth will do NOTHING!
I have had success in the past taking the screenshot from pingplotter and email/showing it to the ISP if one of the hops looks bad.

Dave

Manager of technical services
Mitel/Toshiba dealer for 25 years
TAG member
I have had the same thing happen to me with comcast internet. There were some times of day where the connection was absolutely pitiful and the IP phone didn't work for a hill of beans!

My ping times had doubled, etc. right around the time I noticed the problem with the IP phone.

This happened for about 2 nights in a row then cleared up. As of late the connection has dropped briefly every morning right at 9:29am on the dot.

From here to the IP phone at my house I normally get ping times that average about 25ms.

From here to the IP phone I have at a salseman's home office in Washington state, I usually get about 83ms. That is over an IPSEC VPN, and he has had no problems. (Knock on wood).

I think I saw earlier in this thread people arguing the virtues of g729 over g711.
We ONLY do g711 unless otherwise needed.
Why?
In either case, the size of the packet is the same. But, in the case of g729 there is MUCH more info crammed into each packet. Therefore, if you are experiencing packet loss (anything over 3-5% is deadly), you will experience WORSE call quality and/or more frequent disconnects.
Whomever it was that suggested getting rid of diffserve was probably the saviour as that is a waste of time and packets on the internet.

I have seen some modems having a problem and rebooting the modem (at the enterprise end) can fix it temporarily.
If you continue to have packet loss problems get on your ISP's case and don't take no for an answer!
Again, if your packet loss is over 3-5% you will have problems but will have fewer of them on g711.

Dave

Manager of technical services
Mitel/Toshiba dealer for 25 years
TAG member
Yep. I was puzzles when rglassband said his Toshiba dealer wanted to keep Difserv on. Useless,a nd even a problamatic when going over the Internet.

A lot of people recommended changing to G729. I have tried to do a lot of things as a test, such as make extreme changes to jitter buffer, ect, and even change to g729. But that will only help if the issue is bandwith related. Both you and I have mentioned delay and jitter a couple times.

Other techs have said that they have had more trouble with VoIP over cable modem then DSL, yet cable always seems to provide much more bandwith to the customers then DSL.

Toshiba TCTE
CTP

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,390 Shoretel
189,115 CTX100 install
187,418 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024