web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
To make a long story short I purchased a refurbished CIX100 (ACTU3A/BWDKU/RCIOU(S)/iES32) and also asked the dealer to get me 4 strata net licenses which he had to take to a guy to have done. His licensing guy used to work for Toshiba so I don't know if anything fishy is going on there because in the past I just give the MAC of the processor and I get license keys sent to me. After I got the system I upgraded the software to R5.20 MT014 to match the rest of my systems (4xCIX 100, 1xCIX40v2 and CIX670)

After the upgrade was successful I could not get the phone system to announce to VM or call another extension or even dial #19 to access the modem. I could access and change everything via eManager still no problem. After troubleshooting all the hardware I sent it back to the dealer and he took it to the guy that did the licensing originally. After an hour or so everything was back to working condition.

They shipped the ACTU3A back to me and with all the programming I did everything was working just fine. Got the system finished with all the final touches so I can take it with me to do an install in Austin this Tuesday but the last thing I wanted to do is upgrade the software to MT022 since I updated my other systems to that a few days back with no problem. As soon as that completed successfully I was back to square 1 with the system not being able to do anything and getting the call abandoned message on my handset when trying to do anything.

I called the dealer and explained the situation of course he's unhappy with the events since he had to waste money to have a tech remotely access it last week to see if it was a problem with programming and then pay the ex Toshiba employee to bring it back to life so I told him worst case I'd buy a new processor with no strata net licensing and send an overnight label on Monday so I can install it on Tuesday and having a working system. I also requested to ask the tech how he recovered it but I feel that's going to go nowhere since everything in this business seems to be hush hush. Honestly right now I more feel like a victim of fraud with the whole licensing thing because I highly doubt this would have happened if I did not have them license the phone going through another vendor that didn't do it the whole pay then email the license

I wanted to through this out here before tomorrow to see if anyone has an idea since I pretty much know the problem happens with after you upgrade the software. As I explained to the sales guy at the dealer network eManager is a black and white program you do the software upgrade and it either finishes or it doesn't. it just doesn't brick a processor twice. Sorry about the short story made long but it's all about the details.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Just to add a little more insight. I have forced formated the SD card and reinitialized the systems plenty of times. I had my local dealer come out as a favor and look at it (before I knew it was actually the processor) and the seller's tech remotely eManager into it as well so it's nothing to do with the programming. The person who fixed it either used some kind of jumper method, telnet or JTAG into the processor itself because that's the only thing I sent back.

The only thing I haven't actually tried to do is upgrade/downgrade the software with the SD card out so it would just initialize to factory default when the update was finished which I can try today. Both times there was programming on the card. The reason I went this route is we're moving out Austin, TX location to a new building and the DK280 needed replaced since it was so old and since we're a non-profit company I couldn't spend the money for a completely new system. I know some say if it's not broke, don't fix it but I'd rather get this out of the way compared to upgrading the software remotely and this happening and starting from square 1 with an office that just lost their phone system. Speaking of which there must have been a major power surge but last Monday the DK280 fried so I don't even have anything for my office phone wise when I go there tonight.

Also another thing I just remembered. When I initially got the card the Country said Canada and I changed it to USA. Then when I just got the card back on Friday from being repaired the country said Canada again. I did change that back to Canada after it didn't work after the flash with no results.

Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
The Canada phone systems and phones are different than the USA switches and phones. You can't mix and match the hardware. I learned that one the hard way. A customer purchased phones on e-bay and called me to find out why they didn't work!

Authorized Toshiba dealers are supposed to ONLY sell licenses to processors that are registered to their dealership. If you are buying licensing via e-mail, the dealer could be in trouble if he gets caught.

This is what happens when you deal with non-authorized dealers.

You can restore the sofware by the PRGRESCUE procedure. Please contact an AUTHORIZED dealer to provide this service.

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom
OP Offline
Thank you for the reply and I found out that was the problem. I changed the country to Canada and forced formatted and initialized the system. When it came up everything was working again. So I changed the country to Canada and restarted the system and it didn't work. So I put my default.dat on the card and changed to Canada and initialized so everything is working again. I guess the key to getting it to work is changing it to the proper region and initializing because a change and restart will not work. I guess we can call this case closed.

Fortunately my situation works since it's only the processor. I think it's crazy that it's country coded.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
EXACTLY what Voyager said in reference to the CIX!

In regards to your DK that got "fried" did you try replacing the power supply, or did you deduce it was the processor card?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
OP Offline
I haven't seen the DK yet since it's in Austin and I work out of Houston (3 hrs apart) I purchased this Frankenbuild CIX100 to replace the DK anyway when we start our office move tomorrow. Since I had a new system and it died Monday I just tried to do basic troubleshooting over the phone but I didn't want to do anything with it since I had a new system. I had them check the breaker on the outlet to see if that popped because after 15 years I'm blown away that the PSU of both cabinets died at the same time. It has 2 x PDKU and 2 x analog station cards with a contact DK so it really had no value to me to try and recover it. I only learned on the CIX systems with iES VM cards with eManager and Stratagy ES and couldn't program a DK system if my life depended on it. Since there are only 4 of us in the IT department of a 600+ employee company with 20 locations in 4 states it's hard to find the time to learn new systems unless being forced into it.

Since I paid for the strata net licensing I am pretty much stuck with just leaving the card at Canada region as long as everything else works. At least this whole phone system situation gave me some good practice on troubleshooting hardware because I had an issue with the iES32 that wasn't back to factory IP and tried to run port scans to find it but actually ended up throwing it in my CIX670 and used the phone to have it announce the IP.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Okay, just wanted to make sure you weren't ditching the DK without checking all vitals! It is a rock solid system, even as old as it is. Sounds like your set with what you have at this point, good luck with the install!

:thumb:

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,418 Shoretel
189,181 CTX100 install
187,430 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024