web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#199303 10/23/09 01:16 PM
stange Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all,

I recently purchased a house with a MDFB door phone by the front door. The seller ripped out the PBX he had in the house as it was part of his business that he was running out of the basement.

Long story short, I now don't have a door bell. The MFDB unit is nicely installed by the front door with trim around it, so I really don't want to remove it. I was hoping to connect the MDFB to my POTS phone system or a regular door chime using a Viking C-200 relay.

But that doesn't appear to work, as it seems the MDFB is always 'off hook'. For example, if I connect it to a plain phone line it get dial tone out of the speaker.

All I want to do is be able to have someone push the button and:
1) not spend a lot of money
2) have a heathkit chime go ding-dong

3) it would be nice to have the regular phones in the house ring as well, but I can live without that.

:bang:

Can someone help please? I've searched the forum and didn't see a relevant answer.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#199304 10/23/09 01:57 PM
Can't use an mdfb without system. Basically any Toshiba system with a DDCB(doorbox controller) will do.

Pat Austin
Teleco Inc.
Product Manager/Sales Engineer
Adtran ATSP
TCTE/CTP Certified

Teleco Homepage
#199305 10/23/09 02:23 PM
stange Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks p2ii. That's what I was worried about.

Do you know where the manuals for a basic Toshiba system are online...including the DDCB? I'm searching on google but not finding anything worthwhile.

I guess I'll look too for a replacement door phone that has the same dimensions as the mdfb.

Thanks again!

#199306 10/23/09 07:18 PM
Viking makes a lot doorbell products https://www.vikingelectronics.com/.

If you just need a door bell, if it were me, I'd try to connect wires to the button on the inside so that the button makes moment contact to ring a bell.

I don't think a Toshiba manual will tell you much about the doorbell, except how to connect it to a system you don't have.

#199307 10/24/09 12:54 AM
stange Offline OP
OP Offline
newtecky: Thanks for the reply. I was taking the cover off the mdfb last night to see if I could rewire the switch as well. It was dark and started raining so I didn't get too far, and I forgot to bring my 3rd arm along to hold the flashlight. wink

The Viking door phones are all a bit smaller than the Toshiba. Viking, unlike Toshiba, appears to have been clever enough to size their products to fit a single or double gang J box).

I was hoping to find the manuals as I'm considering picking up a cheaper/older/used Toshiba system to drive this door phone if nothing else works. The existing mdfb box was trimmed into the woodwork by the front door and it might cost more to redo & paint the trim than to find the minimal Toshiba unit to drive the mdfb.

The mdfb doesn't cost too much on ebay, so I might just crack this one open to try and isolate the switch, knowing I can get a replacement one if needed.

Thanks for all your help. Any pointers to an inexpensive Toshiba phone system would be much appreciated!

#199308 10/24/09 09:34 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Finding a used DK system should be inexpensive. Replacing the guts of that one with another product of your choice is an option too.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 158 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024