web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199365 10/29/09 02:49 AM
CGTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Our multi-system setup is causing us issues again. This time we're unable to route 911 the way we need to.

We've got several sites connected over StrataNet with only one site that has many PRI lines. Each site uses Leading Digits added on to connect to the Node the has the PRIs and dial a flexible access code to get the proper caller ID of their site for making outbound calls. This works great.

The problem comes when we try and route 911 calls. When someone calls 911 on any of the nodes except the node with the PRI in it, the system uses a particular OLG definded by Program 550 "Enhanced 911". I would like to have each node use the StrataNet connection then fall-back on the local POTS lines in the building for 911 routing. I cannot figure out how to use the StrataNet for 911 calls, though.

Can anyone help us out? I work for a school district so making sure this system works as reliably and simply as possible is a must.

Thanks in advanced, as always.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Are you saying that each node has its own POTS lines that you want to use for 911 calls and all other general calls need to be routed over the StrataNet to the main node and out the PRI? If this is the case, you can set the POTS lines up in their own OLG and program 550 enter in that OLG number. You can also use LCR to recognize the 911 digits and route through a certain OLG which would be the POTS lines.

CGTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Each node has its own POTS lines. I don't want to use those as the primary route for 911 calls though. I'd like to use the StrataNet to the main node for every call including 911 calls, then fall back on the local POTS lines for 911 calls.

Essentially I want my 911 to route just like my normal calls and not do any of this special routing that doesn't give me any of the leading digits capabilities LCR gives me.

I would think that you would want that the other way around, that you would want the 911 call to route out the local POTS lines first. This would:
A) give the 911 dispatch the correct address (even though it can be done via StrataNet by the correct programming)

B) eliminate any network issues that would have an effect on the StrataNet connection(s) and/or call quality (assuming you are using StrataNet via IP)

and

C) your POTS lines are gonna be more reliable than yur PRI, why not route your most important phone calls out the path of least resistance.

CGTech Offline OP
OP Offline
RRino, thanks for the advice. You make good points about using the POTS lines before PRI. It makes sense, but we need a backup because in some areas we don't have enough POTS lines. We have several small elementary schools that used to have 4 POTS lines in them. We have canceled two of them and they have 2 for backups and for use with a fax and the building's security system. We were originally told that we could have the system utilize the PRI lines on the remote system, then fall back to the POTS lines in case those were not functional. Our caller ID is setup properly with our DIDs and we're in direct contact with our town's emergency services to confirm all of this. What we want to avoid is going back to having 3-4 POTS lines per building when we've already invested in district-wide PRIs to cut down on lines.

I hope there is a work around to do this because it seems like a significant weakness in the StrataNet system that we couldn't make any emergency calls over it.

Well in that case.... laugh

What you are gonna need to do is some fancy LCR programming then. Not sure what leading digits you are adding, but in program 522 you can add the digits 911 to the exception table and create a different route definition using 524,525,and 526 and be able to control the leading digits that way.

Then make sure to go back to prg 550 and set OLG 1 as your StrataNet OLG and then OLG 2 as your back-up POTS OLG.

LCR is quite confusing at the start but then when you get it all set up and working correctly, it all makes perfect sense.

CGTech Offline OP
OP Offline
It's unfortunate I'm AT the site that has the PRIs otherwise I'd give this a try right now. I'll head over to one of the sites soon and give it a shot. Thanks!

Btw, do I need to put in N11 or could I enter 911? Also, if someone dials 9911 would I have to also enter 9N11 or 9911 into the 522 program?

I would put in just 911 since N means any number 1-9. I don't think you need to do the 9911 since the first 9 is the trigger for the system to use LCR then what is dialed after that is analyzed and routed per LCR rules.

CGTech Offline OP
OP Offline
the strange thing is that when I dial 9911 at a site, it rolls over to the CO lines like 911 does by itself. if I did put 9911 in there it would probably override that too, right?

There is a way to turn off enhanced 911, but I don't know if you would want that going over PRI or not, since you would want the outgoing callID to be sent correctly. I know there is a perimeter just for 911 caller ID in prg 200 for example.

The last time I really I played arould wioth e911 I found that even when you select a line directly, 911 would always follow the OLG set in e911 settings. So I know it overrides direct line selection, so it may also override LCR.

Have you tried changing Prg 550 to the OLD for the Stratanet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024