web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#201980 08/23/10 01:30 PM
OP Offline
Let me preface this message by saying that I'm a coming from a network admin angle and don't have any ip phone experience. Please be kind... :-)

My wife has a CIX40 in her office and the company that she bought it from charges her $100 to remotely make any change to a station, extension, whatever. That may be fair but times are tight so she asked me if there was a way to do it herself.

So I installed Network eManager on an XP pro SP3 machine, plugged the CIX40 into the office network switch, found the IP programming instructions (916), set the ip info to match her network and thought I was off to the races.

Created the client equipment in eManager, using the default Community Name, tried to connect. Got the following error: Connection failed! CIX40:ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_CALL_AGENT

Tried to ping the IP assigned to the CIX40, found that I could not ping it. Did some reading, killed the Windows Firewall and Symantec AV and pop up blocker. Still no ping. Connected to the CIX40 with a crossover cable set a static IP on the PC still could not ping.

Throughout these steps I have rebooted the CIX40 and PC. I have gone back and verified that the IP was saved as changed.

Her network is configured as 10.0.0.xxx. I even set the ip back to the default 192.168.254.xxx network and used the crossover but no ping. I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with the CIX40 port or it is disabled somehow that I don't know about.

I tried pinging the CIX 40 from different PC's on the network and two different pc's using the crossover. Tried different network cables as well.

The systems are running IE8 and I understand that IE7 is preferred for eManager but I'm not even getting that far.

Forgot to mention, I get a good link/activity lights on the port as soon as I plug the cable in so there is a connection at some level...

I am open to try any suggestions. Sorry for the rambling... :-)

Thanks!
Stan

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#201981 08/23/10 08:12 PM
There is no setting to disable the admin port. You should be able to ping the system. I don't know if you tried to pulg directly into the phone system or not. It may not be easy to do if the system is far from a PC.

I don't want to ask dumb questions as you are a network admin, but you already looked into the possibility of vlans in the switch? You should be able to ping the processor. The only other port that would accept a network connection is if there was an IP card installed behind the processsor, so unless you are skipping the obvious port, and killing someone's IP phone connection, I would bet you are plugged into the correct port.

You appearantly did some research if you knew about program 916. It's hard to give advice since it will mostly be about networking, which as a network admin you would have likely already checked. Relating to the CIX system, after changing the IP, subnet, GW, press the hold key 2 times to save. A reboot is not needed. You should be able to ping if network settings are correct.

#201982 08/24/10 01:33 AM
OP Offline
newtecky,

Thanks for the reply, I tried plugging directly into the CIX40 with a crossover to my laptop that didn't work. The laptop doesn't have eManager installed, was just trying to ping it from that. I also connected the XP machine with eManager and the CIX40 to a small Linksys switch and configured everything to the standard 192.168.254.xxx and no joy. Also, there are no VLAN's configured on the office network.

I'm plugging into the CIX40 in a RJ45 port on a card labeled GCTU2A. There's a MOH jack next to the port I'm plugging into. There's also a label with a MAC address on the card. That's the only RJ45 jack I could find. It's got link lights that light up and blink with activity.

Has anyone seen one of those ports go bad? I would hazard to guess that that card is pretty pricey to replace.

So my other option is to come in the same way that the vendor is coming in via dial up. Can someone point me to some info on how to configure for dial up? Is there a special phone number you dial? I have no idea.

Thanks!

#201983 08/24/10 05:45 PM
If you hookup to the anaalog port on the 23rd pair (green/Violet) you can dial the number '#19' to get to the internal modem. There is a bit of setup in emanager and setting up a dialup network connection.

I have seen cards go bad, but not on the CIX-40. The card is built onto the processor so not much luck replacing it without swapping the processor.
The system typically comes with a 2 year warantee. How long have you had it?

#201984 08/24/10 05:49 PM
And also, the GCTU2A is the processor, so that is the correct port to plug into. In some rear cases there could be a card behind the processor for VoIP connection.

If you have a link and on the same subnet, the NIC should respond to pings.

#201985 08/25/10 02:05 AM
OP Offline
Remember when I said I don't have any ip phone experience in my first message? Hold that thought... :-)

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure that the problem will be fixed, thanks to a private message from a member here.

He sent 916 programming instructions noting that the FB buttons start from the bottom. Not thinking, I just assumed that you start from the top lit button and work your way down. So what I ended up doing was putting the device IP in the gateway position and the gateway IP in the device IP position. Subnet mask was correct position since it was in the middle. Of course it makes sense now for the FB01 to always be at the botton since the number of FB buttons can change depending on the program you're working in but I didn't think of it at the time.

I'm heading to the wife's office tonight so I'll confirm it then, but I'm sure it will work now. Hopefully now the community name was not changed from the default...

So there you go, rookie mistake, but a big thanks to all who took the time to read and respond! I'll post tonight with the results, but I'm sure that sucker will ping now...

Having the same issues as Stan1415. Assigned an IP address with 916 command. Exited programming mode and went back in programming mode to see if the IP took. Confirmed it did. Get a link light with activity but can't ping. Is there anything else that can be checked? I am a network tech and acquired this CIX 40 from an customer. Any help would be appreciated.

Please refrain from hijacking old post and create a new post to be helped.
Also and most importantly take the time to fill out your profile and read the forums rules.
Welcome to the board and try to give as mush as take, its what makes this forum what it is....GREAT

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally Posted by Toshiba Bob
Welcome to the board and try to give as mush as take, its what makes this forum what it is....GREAT

We can't get enough "mush" on this forum smile

Regards
Carl

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 189 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024