web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We just relocated the company and took the opportunity to deploy new numbers, DIDs and new 4-digit extensions.

At present, the old 3-digit extensions are in the IVP8 system, with the new 4-digit number in the extension field. This transparently--and silently--makes the 3-digit extensions still work. It also means we have twice as many old VM boxes than we need.

I'd like to make the old extensions direct to a message which says "the extension <old extension> has changed. The new extension is <new extension>. Please make a note of it." I know I can use token programming to look up items in a text file (which we'd map old extensions to new ones); is there a way to intercept invalid extensions, directing them to this "error" VM box? My goal is to delete all the old 3-digit VM boxes and just have a single text file with the old number map in it; cleans things up nicely.

If this isn't possible, then is there a way to modify the default "that was an invalid entry" autoattendant voice and record our own, "Sorry, we have changed to new 4-digit extensions. If you need assistance locating your party, press zero now for the receptionist..." or such?

----
I.T. Geek by Trade
Telecom Newbie by Necessity
CIX 100 : ACTU AR5.20 MT067.00
and Stratagy IVP8
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The only way I can see you doing this is by directing the 3 digit mailbox to another newly created mailbox that plays your "the extension has changed. The new extension is . Please make a note of it." and then redirects to the appropriate 4 digit mailbox. This of course leaves you with 3 times as many mailboxes than you need. Of course this would just be temporary since you would delete all of those mailboxes sometime down the road and that would leave you with only your 4 digit mailboxes.

The other solution I can suggest is to leave it the way you have it and have each user record in their greeting something like "please note that my ext number has changed and is now ____". Again this would be a temporary thing.

Callers will always end up at the default mailbox 991 when people make dialing mistakes. I wis there was a way to intercept mis-dialing.

The only other way put your main greating into mailbox 990 and put a message in 991 with something generic saying " if you are having trouble dialing, please be aware that we now have 4 digit extensions. Maybe even add a second or 2 pause after 990 so it does not sound like the main greeting.

Even with token programming I can't think of another way of intercepting misdialed numbers.

OP Offline
Hm, you've given me an idea!

Result: You hear two different voices with an assembled message, "The extension you dialed, 123, has been changed. The new extension is 4567. Please make a note of it.... etc". Then the call is transferred to the new 4-digit extension.

This isn't as clean as I like, but it does provide a way to have each old extension get a spoken message without re-recording everything.

Here's what I have working:

For each old 3-digit box:

- Put the new 4-digit extension in the Comment field. This is referenced via %F(3) in token programming.
- Put this token code in the Extension field:

@=(%S1,%F(3))G(5301)

Which translates to "put the Comment field contents into %S1 and jump to box 5301".

- Create 3 greetings in a box (5301).
-- Greeting 1 says "The extension you dialed...".
-- Greeting 2 says "has been changed. The new extension is:".
-- Greeting 3 says "Please make a note of it. One moment while you are connected."
- Put this in the Extension field of 5301:

@P(G1)P(%P)P(G2)P(%S1)P(G3)G(%S1)

Which translates to "play greeting 1, the digits of the previous box, greeting 2, the digits contained in %S1, greeting 3, then jump to box %S1".

Love those tokens!

----
I.T. Geek by Trade
Telecom Newbie by Necessity
CIX 100 : ACTU AR5.20 MT067.00
and Stratagy IVP8
Nice. Wish I thought of it. Making use of the previous extension variable.

Still have to edit each old mailbox, but like you said, one recording will cover it.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,783
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,802 Shoretel
188,963 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (nfcphoneman, Toner), 125 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024