Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
We have sold and installed hundreds of these voice mail systems over the years. Now, the 486 platform digital systems are beginning to fail, always requiring that the hard drive be replaced. Every one that we sold about three years ago is doing exactly the same thing. The customers are angry since a drive replacement is expensive and they shouldn't have to pay for something like that after a relatively short period of time.

These were right around the time when systems had the BIOS problem where they were shipped with the wrong chipset that would cause the drive to fail.

Vodavi says they don't know anything about a "lot" failure (manufacturing defect) but I don't believe that we are the only company in the country that has had to replace 10 hard drives on the exact same systems in a 90 day window.

Is anyone out there experiencing similar problems? All other Talkpath and Dispatch models are working fine; it's just the 3-year old 486's that are failing. Any comments?

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
What brand hard drives? They wouldn't by chance be Quantum Fireballs would they?

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems

[Linked Image]
Funny you bring that up...I just replaced a Digital Dispatch HDD last week. The system is about a year and a half old. Just died. Could not find the boot sector.

I can't remember the brand of drive.

rather be fishing,

I personally like the Quantum Fireballs, but im just curious, have you had bad luck with them??? why is it you brought up that HD?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RATHER BE FISHING:
What brand hard drives? They wouldn't by chance be Quantum Fireballs would they?

</font>

------------------
Kristopher M.
A.D.S.P. Central Administration Unit #424

Kristopher
Admin
Admin
Quantum Fireballs have one of the worst reps for failures. I have at least 50 bad ones. The saving grace is that it's a pretty good chance it is the controller card on the bottom of the drive. I keep a bunch around for the controller card swap. Usually can recover the data and copy to a different drive. Not too happy with Western Digital Caviar series either.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
This is a follow up to my original post:

I had a conversation with the higher-ups at Vodavi last week. Apparently, replacing the hard drive isn't all that needs to be done. Just installing one of their off-the-shelf hard drive kits is only part of what needs to be done.

We are also supposed to be confirming the BIOS chips on the motherboard and obtaining the correct ones from Vodavi at the time that the drive is replaced. We are telephone men, not IT people, so we had no clue that this is necessary. Maybe a computer person would know, but that's another issue I have altogether.

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question as to why so many of the drives are failing at all.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

[This message has been edited by ev607797 (edited July 05, 2005).]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
i dont like the caviars either... they are too sensitive. i have about 5 of those.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RATHER BE FISHING:
Quantum Fireballs have one of the worst reps for failures. I have at least 50 bad ones. The saving grace is that it's a pretty good chance it is the controller card on the bottom of the drive. I keep a bunch around for the controller card swap. Usually can recover the data and copy to a different drive. Not too happy with Western Digital Caviar series either.

</font>

Kristopher
we had the same issues, it appears that at one point vodavi released some talkpaths that could not regitser a large hard drive, on the talkpaths see if htere is a label that says LB, if not then you need to go into the cmos and change the harddrive to support LBA. This is of course if the talkpath is still up and running, if it dies then its to late, hope this helps

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024