web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm trying to better understand the logic of a Vodavi STS KSU night control, versus a time control in the HD based VM. Is there a simple way to understand how these 2 interact, and when each should be used?

Thanks!

--Randy Starkey

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
VM time controls are fixed and can only be changed through VM admin. You can set the changes by date and change the greeting multiple times in one day if necessary. Ksu clock controls can be automatic (set in phone system admin) and still be manually overriden or they can be manual all the time. Manual lets you shift to day, night or special. Auto will go from day to night only and out again only. Feature package 3.0 (xts systems) will automatically shift through all three modes. Ksu clock controls both the greeting from the voice mail and station ringing at the same time.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
OK. I do all the WinDBA and InSkin admin programming for my own office on our STS (not "e") since I'm also a part time tech for our dealer who installed it. He's a small shop and can only get here when I get stumped. I have an engineering background. But I don't work on the STS everyday, so I'm not totally immersed in its features.

Right now I have the KSU clock control set to auto on an 830-430 day, excluding weekends, but in bad weather when the office doesn't make it in, then it goes off night and rings with no one answering, so I think I'm going to change to manual on that.

One problem I've been seeing is people calling in when the system is in night mode, and it hangs up on them. I'm thinking this is because I also have a time control set up in the VM for 830 to 430. This seems to dup the auto night, and I can't remember now why I even set it up that way, so I'm wondering why I would even need that? If the night function in the KSU sends it to VM, what feature do I use to tell VM to answer with my night menu if the KSU is in night? Or, I guess I just set VM to always answer with the night menu, if it's doing the answering at all, right?

I'm probably confusing myself here. I use a COS in VM for all stations that specifies that time control, but I'm thinking I don't even need that?

The class of service of the ext. has nothing to do with it. When you say "hard drive based voice mail", do you mean an inskin or an external box on the wall such as talk path or dispatch ? From what I remember you should go to "voice lines" in the voice mail and set to ksu clock control. I may be wrong but that's the way I remember it. Also whether you use manual or auto makes no difference. If the system is in night mode ,the night greeting will play. If the system is in day mode the day greeting will play. You could leave your auto night turned on and preset forward the lines to the vm after so many rings. That way the call will always get answered even if you cant make it in to work due to bad weather.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
OP Offline
COS can specifiy a time control, so it seems to me it can interact. I was specifying a time control in my COS. Probably not the best way to do it.

My VM is the STS in skin HD based.

Hmmm... good idea on the preset forward. I'd have to find a balance between getting enough rings so it would be answered during the day, and not too many for them to wait for VM at night. Right now I nuked the time control, and set it to do nothing for day (just keeps ringing) and go to VM at night and pointed to the night menu I want. It seemed to eliminate the other problems. Having the auto-night and a matching time control was definitely confusing the system. Not sure why I ever even set it up that way.

Thanks.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 116 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024